jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Does anyone support this?

1. profile image0
    JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago

First Cyprus, now Spain, Italy, and other countries are being told that their personal savings accounts may be raided to help keep the Eurozone going.

I just love this idea. I love Big Brother saying 'Sorry we've spent so much money, sorry we wasted so much money we didn't have, and sorry we take so much of the money that you earn, but now we're going to have to take X% of the money that you've managed to save for yourself'.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've seen a few rumblings around, none really serious, about taxing wealth in the US.  Not much difference.

We've long had yearly taxes assessed on the home you own (with the bank) or personal property such as a car - it's a small step "forward" to tax the money in the bank.

1. profile image0
        JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Taxing wealth is dangerously idiotic. It makes people less likely to save, which can be good for the economy, but it makes bubbles bigger, which makes bubble crashes worse.

Savings allow people to 'weather the storm' when bad times come around.

Plus, it's just stupid.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Agree 100%, but who said our money hungry politicians are smart?  Sounds like the next obvious step in growing government, now that they taxed income to near the max while leaving just enough to live on.

2. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 4 years ago

If it's voluntary, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

If it's compulsory, that's just heinously anus.

1. profile image0
      JaxsonRaineposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Lol, voluntary tax. Good luck with that.

2. tsadjatko profile image77
      tsadjatkoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Voluntary? Yeah like anyone would give their savings voluntarily to a failed government.

working