jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Obama administration helps the enforcement of a fascist German law

1. innersmiff profile image87
    innersmiffposted 3 years ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … ldren.html

Homeschooling is effectively banned in Germany, forcing a family who believed they were subject to religious discrimination to emigrate to Tennessee. Now the Obama administration is taking the issue to court to get the family deported on the basis that the right to home school is not a human right.

Calling the law against home-schooling 'fascist' is not mindless hyperbole: the law was put into the books by the Nazi's in 1938 in order to weed out those who attempt to bypass their indoctrination regimes. Incredibly, this has not been repealed yet and law-breakers may have their custody rights eliminated entirely.

If anybody who has at least a modicum of respect for individual rights needs to speak out against the law and the US government for enforcing it.

- - - - -

I also present this as an example of why "If you don't like it, you can leave" is not an acceptable compromise when confronted with government aggression. Relative safe havens of liberty are becoming increasingly hard to come by.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago

Lol, gotta love the Daily Mail smile

innersmiffposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The lefty British paper has pretty much the same article. Try again, responding to the actual arguments this time.

3. peeples profile image87
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

While I think everyone should have a right to home school their children I do not think it is a good use for political asylum. I have to wonder too what religion says you must home school?  It should not be the USA's job to police other countries.

innersmiffposted 3 years ago in reply to this

What better use of asylum is there than to seek individual liberty? Banning home schooling is a violation of individual liberty regardless of what religion you are.

1. peeples profile image87
        peeplesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My point is there are people being killed because of their beliefs. That is a better use than policing laws that simply don't make sense. They claimed religious asylum by what I have read. So they should by law have to prove that. Which is why I ask what exact religion requires home schooling. We should not come to the rescue every time a different country has a law that doesn't make sense. We should reserve that for saving lives. We have enough issues of our own here, and in case you weren't aware an attack on our own homeschooling at the moment to worry about!

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

If the family are still German citizens then they are under German law.  If they feel their are being persecuted for their beliefs they need to start an asylum process. That will then run its course. They could also try for a fast track naturalization.

But the default is that the country you are a citizen of gets to make the rules.  If the US had an open door policy for people who don't like the rules in their country, would this family really be at the head of the queue?