jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Study shows New Yorkers have less freedom.

1. Barefootfae profile image61
    Barefootfaeposted 3 years ago

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/29/ … te-in-u-s/

Your thoughts on this study.
    Let's just get out of the way to start it was a libertarian think tank that released this info.
    Shoot them not me.

1. Cody Hodge5 profile image82
      Cody Hodge5posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Uhh...the article clearly states it was a conservative think tank.

The article also states lower alcohol and substance abuse rates than many other states as well as a lower divorce rate. Seems like a Christian paradise wink

2. 61
      retief2000posted 3 years ago in reply to this

New Yorkers seem to love the life as wards of the nanny state.  They continue to elect those who would rather be zoo keepers than game wardens.  As people free to choose the government they want, New Yorkers deserve the government they get, even an intrusive, over reaching, priggish, controlling, know it all one like that of Mayor Bloomberg.

1. 85
        Education Answerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well, I generally agree that you deserve the government you elect.  There are two problems though.  First off, I feel sorry for those who voted against Bloomberg and his ilk.  Much like those of us who did not vote for the POTUS, they suffer.  I guess, with democracy, you have to take the good with the bad; it beats not having a vote.  Also, many states look to New York as an example.  Like it or not, New York sets precedents for the rest of us.  When New York has liberal legislation, it’s like a cancer that starts spreading across the rest of our country.

1. 61

The greatest difference between Bloomberg and Obama is that you don't have to leave the country to escape Bloomberg.  Currently, Indiana does not look to New York for much more than a Basketball team that needs a beating.  Any state that emulates California or New York deserves the consequences of those disastrous choices.

2. tamron profile image59
    tamronposted 3 years ago

Now New Yorkers come here to Florida and try to impose their stupid laws here.

1. Barefootfae profile image61
      Barefootfaeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think you can probably trace the social creep from the various bastions of liberalism to other places that tend to be that way too.

1. tamron profile image59
        tamronposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am not just saying its just here in Florida.  Its not just New Yorkers that are moving here in Florida.  What I am saying is since the New Yorkers started moving here.  Our taxes went up every year.  Rent is unbelievable!  Car insurance keeps going up.

Every time I have ever talked to a New Yorker.  It New York this New York that.  I got so fed up I finally said.  If New York is so great.  Go back and never come back!

3. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

According to that study, for all intents and purposes, California is just as bad. And it just happens to be where I live. If I wasn't financially trapped, I would depart.

4. 85
    Education Answerposted 3 years ago

Do we really need a study to show this?  Look at the soda debacle.  Look at gun magazines.  The list goes and goes.

Proposed or Actual Laws:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/nyreg … -york.html

http://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/pu … tion/1399/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- … hats-next/

I guess the whole lack of feedom issue can be applied to many different regions in America.  What we need is a law to abolish a lot of these laws.  Maybe that's not the right way to put it. . .

5. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 3 years ago

Did people commenting here even bother to read the article?
    It is specifically about BUSINESS taxes and regulations in the STATE
    of New York.
    Not rank and file citizens of New York City.
    Mayor Bloomberg does not govern the state.
    Which is actually quite large and diverse.

If you asked the average New Yorker if they felt less free than their counterparts across
    the river (WHAT river?  I've driven from NY to CT thousands of times -- never ever heard
    the river referenced here!) they would say "Are you f'ing kidding me?"

No one forces them to root for the Yankees. smile

1. 85
      Education Answerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Point taken.

2. 61

Business taxes and regulations never burden "ordinary" people.  Only those ugly green multilegged businessmen are troubled by over reaching government.  Unless you want a 32 ounce pop.