jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Georgia town passes law requiring citizens to own guns and ammo

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

By Erin McClam, Staff Writer, NBC News

A Georgia town has passed a law requiring its citizens to own a gun and ammunition — a measure one councilman says is similar to putting a security sign in your front yard to deter criminals.

The ordinance in the town of Nelson, population 1,300, contains no penalties, has exemptions for felons and the mentally ill and allows anyone to opt out. Town leaders said they wanted to make a point about gun rights.

The law is also meant to pre-empt any future attempt by the federal government to confiscate guns, according to the council’s agenda.
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 … -ammo?lite
    I don't know if I could remain in a town that required me to own a gun or not; it's a personal choice.
    The officials want to make sure that the citizens have protection and they are afraid of the Feds taking their guns. Do they think their citizens are going to have shoot outs with the Feds  if they come for their guns?

1. tsadjatko profile image88
      tsadjatkoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

What's the big deal - there is no penalty for breaking the ordinance so it will not be enforced (just like all the other federal gun laws already on the books that aren't enforced). They just wanted to make a statement that your protection might be your own responsibility in a town like that one, and so they did. Meaningless.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

1) You don't have to own a gun to live there.  "allows anyone to opt out"

2) No one said anything about a shootout with the feds; that's merely another foolish way to spin the statement

And statement is just what it is.  Unfortunately the whole gun control thing has become nothing but a statement, a statement without cause or real result. 

Sheriffs won't enforce federal laws.  Cities and states seceding.  Declarations that any black gun is an "assault" weapon.  Scare tactics without substance.  Re-defining what an "assault" weapon is along with the claim that removing them will save lives while ignoring that even the new definition contains very few weapons used in murders.

And the worst of all is the accepted "truth" that gun controls will provide a measure of safety, will save lives without costing reasonable people anything at all. 

It has deteriorated into nothing more than grandstanding, Politicians posing on a pedestal proclaiming their greatness in "improving" society without doing one single thing towards solving the US problem with violence OR helping to stop the madness of further controls over individuals.

2. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

I read this article and my take is this: protect yourselves 'cause we can't be counted on.

1. tsadjatko profile image88
      tsadjatkoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, maybe that law gives the sherif's office an advantage. In case they are sued they can shift their responsibility onto the resident? lol Could their defense be you weren't protected because you broke our ordinance, not because we did or didn't do something?