jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

The Last Taboo That Occurs Which is SELDOM Mentioned

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

All of us have have experience discrimination and prejudice from others based upon our ethnic and/or racial group.   However, there is discrimination and prejudice among OUR own ethnic and/or racial group.   For example, there used to be division between  German Jews and Eastern European Jews, Northern and Southern Italians, among  Northern, Southern, and Caribbean Blacks, and among Latinos in which certain groups consider themselves to be in a higher status than other groups. 

Although outlying discrimination and prejudice is widely discussed; however, inlying discrimination and prejudice is a subject that is seldom mentioned or discussed.  Have you ever experience any form of inlying discrimination and prejudice? 

My mother,  a Southern Black, relayed to me how when she arrived in New York, Northern Blacks perceived her to be backwards and unsophisticated because she was born in the South.  I witnessed a Haitian co-worker been constantly denigrated by her supervisor, an American Black, because of the latter came from the Caribbean.  This particular supervisor had an animus against people who came from the Caribbean and scapegoated this employee.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yep, there is racism and prejudice within each group of people.
      You're right to point it out, because it's not discussed often.
      I think it may not be the last taboo, though.
      That could be lying.
      But even that is becoming politically correct, sadly.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 3 years ago

I guess I've been "looked down on" for being a southerner. When I was a kid, we lived near an interstate that was a major highway to Florida, and we had lots of northerners passing through. When my best pal and I would encounter some of these people at a local gas station, they'd often talk to us. They'd ask questions like:

Do you guys have indoor plumbing?
    Do you go to school?
    Do you know how to read and write?
    Does your father ever dress up in white sheets to go out at night?

Such individuals thought all southerners were backward, ignorant, and racist.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Oh my dear, how rude some people could be.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi Habee, here's a couple of several Mississippi redneck jokes I picked up recently at my high school reunion in Baton Rouge

How can you tell when a redneck had his girl out for a ride in his pickup truck? "There's tobacco juice on both sides of the truck."

What's the definition of a virgin in Mississippi?  "A thirteen year old who can out run her brother." :-)

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

3. 84
      Education Answerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, some of us have been called "ignernt" in another forum, because we are from the South and disagree with another person's opinions regarding gun control. 

Some people have received disparaging comments, within the same forum, because of their gender, male.

3. donotfear profile image90
    donotfearposted 3 years ago

I can relate to this. There are times when I get the feeling/vibe that some northerners look down upon us southerners as being uneducated.  This comes, in part, from our southern drawl and the fact they associate it with ignorance.

In the program,YOU DON'T KNOW DIXIE,  there were Southern commentators including the comedian Jeff Foxworthy who relayed that many non-Southerners feel that Southerners are a little challenged because of their accent.   Another commentator remark that some people automatically deduct  IQ points where they hear Southerners speak. 

I have a story to tell you.   Many people assume that because you are from Harlem, New York, you are uncultured and uncouth in addition to being impoverished.   When I was employed, I relayed to another woman that I was from Harlem.  She was totally aghast, stating that I was SO refined and had class.   

Another woman stated that I could not be from Harlem because I was articulate and educated.   She further remarked that people from Harlem are roughnecks.  One person from Saint Albans, Queens, New York indicated that all people from Harlem are impoverished and are not exposed to the finer things of life.   She purported herself to have come from a middle class background.   

She constantly bragged about this at work.   When she discovered that I also came from a middle class background, she was totally perplexed.  She wondered how because I was from Harlem.   Upon further information, this woman was not middle class at all as she claimed........

1. 0
        Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm originally from Maine so yes, I had that Maine drawl "pak the ca in the yad" "drawn butta with my lobsta".  When I joined the Army I was sent to Ft. Jackson, South Carolina.  It was an instantaneous "Yankee go home".  I tried and tried to loose my New England accent (which I have done after many years).  I also had an employer in South Carolina who would tell me to be more 'Southernese" as the customers didn't like talking to Yankees.  Uh, that's discrimination.  Being a Yankee in the South I was a walking target so I ended up with a southern accent and a yankee accent mixed together.  lol.  Oh well, people can be so rude.  More people need to travel around to the different states as each state has a different culture and accent.  Not everyone is the same, the food is different and the way things are done are different.  What a boring world it would be if we were all a like.  It's so easy just to get along, some days I just don't understand.  Oh well, can't change the world all at one time but maybe we can one person at a time.

I have always loved New England accents and New England people.  They are truly the salt of this earth.  Many greats came from New England e.g. the late great actress Katherine Hepburn. BTW, one of my supervisors came from Maine and she had the most adorable New England accent.

1. 0
            Sarra Garrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My brother giggles at me because my accent is so mixed up, but when I'm around either him or my son my New England comes right back.  Funny how it does that.

1. 0
              Motown2Chitownposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm with GM - I love, love, love New England accents...Boston, Maine.  I think it sounds hearty, healthy, and determined.  I'm about as accentless as an American can be.  Born and raised in the northern Midwest...if anything, I may sound a bit Canadian.

My aunt taught music, French, and English.  She was born, raised, and educated in Detroit, MI.  She moved to Canada over forty years ago, and said that she very deliberately cultivated a Canadian accent because parents of her students didn't want 'some damn Yank' teaching their kids English.  Oddly enough, they were all the same color as she is.

Will it ever end?

Nope, not at all.  Sad but true.

4. Wayne Brown profile image87
    Wayne Brownposted 3 years ago

Bias in terms of being from the South is not limited to color.  White boy cracker that I am, I experience plenty of it in my stint in the military.  I remembe being in a chow line for breakfast one morning and ordering a bowl of grits.  The New Yorker who I knew behind me said, "Where'd you southern boys learn to eat grits?" thinking, I assume, that maybe my slow mind and assumed dim-wit would not elicit a response.  I quickly shot back, "You Yankees taught us at Vicksburg!"  He was the one who ended up speechless.  When we assume things about people because of their origin, we make an ass out of ourselves.  Opinions should be formed on the basis on individual merit.  If a particular individual proves to be worthless and unreliable, that is not something that should be associated with his/her peers...it is an individual trait, not an ethnic characteristic.  Fear and ignorance drives all of us to make these assumptions at one time or another. ~WB

5. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 3 years ago

I can't think of any instances where my background has been used against me.
    Maybe I just come from cool places that garner respect.
    I can definitely relate to your having to defend your Harlem background, though, gmwilliams.
    It wasn't that long ago that Harlem was a huge cultural mecca for African Americans!

My father and my son's father both grew up in the Bronx.
    People hear the Bronx and give us the funniest looks.
    It was not always a burnt out "hood."

The Bronx used to be semisuburbia once upon a time.  However, in the 1930s, it became increasingly urbanized.   The Bronx still have some nice neighborhoods such as Throgs Neck, Riverdale, and some parts of Moshulu Parkway.  Fordham used to be a lovely center of the Bronx before it became degentrified. 

Many people have stereotypes of others based upon the region they come from.  Some people when they hear a person comes from Brooklyn assumes that he/she is a blue collar, working class type of person.   However, there are some lovely neighborhoods in Brooklyn such as Brooklyn Heights, Park Slope,  Bay Ridge, and Ocean Parkway.

6. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 3 years ago

That's so funny. I think of Brooklyn as yuppie city.  Young Wall Streeters living in renovated brownstones with nannies!
    Queens, on the other hand, still working class.
    And you're right. There are some lovely and quite upscale neighborhoods technically in the borough of The Bronx!
    Now that you mention it, I suppose I've been stereotyped.
    I come from Long Island, aka the 'Gisland.
    But it's a big island and south shore is way different than north shore. There are all kinds of towns.
    Like when you tell someone you are from New York they automatically assume Manhattan.
    NY is a HUGE state!!