jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (41 posts)

Cheering a Bombers Capture

1. LupitaRonquillo profile image81
    LupitaRonquilloposted 4 years ago

Yes, great job to the Boston police and FBI for catching hopefully the last suspect in the marathon bombings but is all this applauding and cheering really necessary? Is terrorism finally over?? I doubt the victims' families are cheering tonight. They do deserve applause for successfully controlling the dangerous situation but won't the media's display of this appreciation to our heroes a motivation for other willing bombers to take their place?? The media forgets that the evil WORLD is still watching...

1. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This person was bent on more destruction and we spared no expense to stop him.  We were successful.  A celebration is appropriate.

LupitaRonquilloposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Those officers deserved a HUGE applause by everyone but did the media have to sensationalize and broadcast it? That was my point. The media forgets that evil world is still watching and applause could be misconstrued as a message to motivate other future bombers...

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wonder if the evil world would get motivated if we just publicly executed the bomber?

I'm more concerned that the message sent by some, and by Obama, of immediate forgiveness (and saying things like "this will only make us stronger" and all that)  before the bombers were ever even killed/captured,  will send the wrong message!    I believe in forgiveness, yes,  but not before repentance.    Justice needs to be done, and the opportunity for sorrowful repentance, before forgiveness is handed out.  Especially to terrorists.

The media has the power to paint the wrong picture of our country. That is what concerns me. It encourages Lone Wolfs and Copy Cat killers, not just the Taliban. Terrorism is NOT just a war with extremists of the Islam faith...

1. HowardBThiname profile image88
              HowardBThinameposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You make an excellent point. Terrorism works because it strikes fear and makes people change their lives and habits. Locking down an entire city must be viewed by other terrorists in the world as quite a coup. Never mind that the lockdown and big federal dragnet did not find the suspect (a boat owner did), the people are celebrating. I'm not sure what they're celebrating. The guy with the boat is the only hero in this story.

And around the world, terrorist wanna-be's are licking their lips and planning. Because these last brother bombers were quite successful in bringing their plight to the forefront.

The boat owner was very brave to have gone out and checked his boat, especially after seeing blood! Hopefully he gets a new boat, from what it sounds like he will...

2. bBerean profile image60

Their motivation does not come from us, nor should we alter how we feel or act to cater to them in any way.  Consider this:

Walking was not as easy as it once was, but even in her old age Emily enjoyed the walk from her bank where she cashed her social security check, to the local market  where she would pick up a few items for tonight’s dinner.   This dinner would be special, as Emily always picked up a little something extra on “pay day.”  Suddenly, she was on the ground, hit from behind, and her arm ached from the resistance it gave before the handle of her purse broke free.  A small crowd in front of the market parted as the young man carrying Emily’s purse charged toward it.  Suddenly another body flew by her as a second young man gave pursuit.  The crook did not even clear the crowd before the second man tackled him.  The crowd cheered as a policeman came from inside the market, and arrested the robber.

Should they not have cheered?  Was capturing the bomber not a bigger victory?  Media attention has been glued to this issue since the bombing happened, and has been non-stop since the manhunt began in earnest last night.  Everyone is stressed by the anticipation and desire for justice.  Can we not allow ourselves some relief out of concern for what those who wish to harm us will think?  How do they deserve that consideration?  I think we would fool ourselves if we thought any response we gave would dissuade them.  Let's celebrate for a moment, but get back to caring for those most effected.

Did we forget that he's still a suspect and is innocent until PROVEN guilty??

1. bBerean profile image60

Your right.  If it makes you feel better you can put "alleged" in front of the word bomber.  I am still glad they got him.  Between the photos, the witnesses, the shoot out, shooting two cops and chase, as well as evidence that will be forthcoming, I too sure hope we got the right guy.  At least we can be happy that they got their suspect, and the fact that he had all sorts of relevant bomb materials including military grade supplies makes it a win even if he is the wrong guy for the bombing.  I can't wait until we find out for sure!

2. profile image0

Indeed.
              That's the way our Laws work.   And it's a good thing.
              Unless of course the ACLU gets hold of him;  in which case, I'm pretty sure his interrogators will be made to treat him with the utmost care and respect.   No "torture" for him to get him to confess about any ties to terrorist groups,  no waterboarding for sure!    I reckon he will just 'fess up to everything on his own recognizance,  from the goodness of his murderous heart.  roll
              But anything is possible of course.

What I'm trying to point out is that the fact that there's a difference between premeditated terrorism and an isolated event of a crime of passion, etc.;  just like there's a difference between the justice that can and should be served between common criminal acts and acts of war.    I'm thinking the Boston bombings was more along the lines of an act of war.    Which is what terrorism of that kind of scale  is---an act of war,  especially when coming from a foreign source and/or with an anti-American agenda.

I am not unfeeling about anybody, including that young man who has just wasted his life.   But we need to stop being so soft before justice is served.   We need to stop being so tolerant of outside influences.  We need to consider the safety and the sovreignty of real American citizens instead of letting Lady Liberty ((including the right of innocent citizens to LIFE)) be invaded and assaulted by outsiders so freely.

3. profile image61
              retief2000posted 4 years ago in reply to this

He was not "mirandized" at the time of his capture.  The court circus over his guilt or innocence will become public handwringing about how flawed the justice system is, how he is a victim, how his rights were violated....  Just wait, justice deferred is justice denied and there will be deferred justice in this case.  If he had been a foreign national it would have been easier, ship his butt to Gitmo.  Since he is a citizen it becomes more complex.

Good point made. The justice system is flawed in so many ways as is the ethics of the media. The story of the Boston bombing certainly has shifted its focus, as it always does, to the bomber and not the victims and their families.

4. Superkev profile image85
              Superkevposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, he sure acted like an innocent man didn't he??/ <rolleyes>

2. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 4 years ago

The manhunt and capture were very newsworthy events.
    Much more so than OJ Simpson driving in his white Ford Bronco!

I think, too, it's natural for people to come together in the streets to share an emotional experience.
    This is historical.
    Yes, it's possible evil doers are watching and thinking they are going to get celebrity if they pull something similar.
    Not publicizing the events wouldn't deter them, however.

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
      Petra Vlahposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree MM

2. LupitaRonquillo profile image81

No matter what the motive is for wanting to set off a bomb, we as civilians have to realize is that we are the soldiers of our own life! A bomber, or mass murderer may have the hate for a government or agenda of an organization but if the victims are going to be us, the innocent people, we certainly have become involved in their war whether we want it or not.  A trained soldier would NOT stop to celebrate or cheer and yell much less draw attention to oneself in the middle of being attacked! The media will always draw attention to things but in a "declared" war, everything is much more classified and secret. The problem most don't want to admit is we ARE at war.

1. Mighty Mom profile image92
        Mighty Momposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not getting the whole declared war vs. undeclared, all people are "soldiers" thing here.
        Are you saying that in WWII when there was good news about a victory in Europe or the Pacific -- up to and including VE and VJ Day -- citizens should not cheer?
        roll

LOL, those were wars that ENDED. Sadly, the war on terrorism is not!!!

The war on terrorism is doomed to be as big a failure as the war on drugs.
            Terrorism is a hydra that keeps growing new heads/cells.

Above Marquis asked if people knew the quote "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."
            Not true in today's geopolitical climate. Yesterday's enemy is today's frenemy is tomorrow's ally and
            next month will be back to enemy status.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 4 years ago

The cheering reminded me of the pictures of Palestinians celebrating when the twin towers were brought down.

I didn't really thinking cheering was appropriate but I suppose pantomine booing would have been a bit silly.

To be honest - I'm sick of the hate everyone world.  We hate 'them', 'they' hate us.

How about a few politicians doing their job and finding a way to make peace not endless war.

1. profile image61
      retief2000posted 4 years ago in reply to this

From where does war come?  From where does evil and brutality come?  Is any politician any where at any time capable of removing from human nature, soul, character those flaws that make us less than perfect?  Perhaps being more than twelve years old and embracing that flawed nature of existence will help or should we just hand out blankies until the great Utopian state fixes it.

4. peeples profile image87
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

My husband and I had a drunken debate about this last night. Personally I think the cheering was not only great but should have been shown on every network not just major ones. There was a brief moment where democrats, republicans, whites, blacks, hispanics, EVERYONE gathered together in a patriotic moment. A moment where we could be proud of where we come from. A moment where we could see that unlike so many other countries, our government (like them or not) does keep us safe. The scene on the streets the other day was right out of a different part of the world. It reminded me of videos I have watched about Isreal. At the end of that day, it was over, we had him in custody, and the celebration began. This doesn't take away the pain of the victim's families. However we should all take a moment to be thankful that we live in a place where when the day was over, our government had done it's job.
    Our government has been crap in a lot of ways. People can whine all they want, but at the end of the day we walk around free, for the most part we are safe, we get to do as we want, we get to be as stupid as we want!

Having pride is one thing. Flaunting it for the whole world to see is quite another. I am proud and extremely grateful for what they did but I wouldn't go out on the street and cheer out "we won!"

1. peeples profile image87
        peeplesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I disagree. The world should know we will not take their crap and that we had a proud moment! If you watched what happened the majority were crying, thanking police, and celebrating the great job the police did. A few may have been yelling we won, the majority were celebrating relief and a great job done.

5. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

You're basically giving the same message they do.  Intolerance breeds more intolerance.

As far as the cheering, I don't have a problem with that.  These people had been locked in their homes all day.  I can't imagine the sense of relief when they knew the suspect was captured.  To play it over and over again is where the media sensationalizes events.

1. profile image0

What?!   You say my view is the same basic message as................who?   The bombers?    If so, then

Excuse you!  If you're saying that my view that America should be more careful who (and from what Country) we allow into this Country is comparable to deliberately killing and maiming people,  you're flat wrong and should apologize for saying such a horrid thing.    Every Nation has the right to be "discriminating" in their choices of who gets to come live on their soil.   Why America has become so "tolerant" of everyone and everything no matter what the motivation may be and/or what Country they're from and/or what kind of unAmerican mentorship they seek and follow, is a question that should be asked and re-thought.   Maybe you don't believe a Nation should have sovreignty on its own soil?!

2. LauraGT profile image87
      LauraGTposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As someone who within the lockdown area, just a few miles away from the scene, I have to say, it was such a stressful day for everyone.  I had friends with small children who had swat teams search their homes. No one knew where this guy was and where he might be headed.  He could have been in someone's basement, with a bomb.  People had been up the entire previous night, with low flying helicoptors overhead and gunshots.  I think the cheering was simply a human response to a very stressful, scary situation.

6. aa lite profile image90
    aa liteposted 4 years ago

I found the cheering quite strange.  What happened was a terrible tragedy, three people, including an 8 year old boy, killed.  Many others horribly injured, many having limbs amputated.  How anybody can feel any emotion other than horror about anything connected to the Boston marathon is strange.

But I guess people were expressing their relief, it must have been very scary to be in Boston until the guy was captured.  Emotions do strange things to people.

Exactly. All this celebrating gave me an EERY feeling for 2 reasons: People including a child were killed and so many more seriously injured for the rest of their life! This was not just some robber or some game where there was a loser and a winner. This was terrorism. Nobody wins nor won ANYTHING. The American people gained a little more security that night after a SUSPECT was caught. But after hearing about the ongoing investigation from the explosion in Texas and a bomb threat in an apartment complex in Westminster, CO how on earth are we more secure???!!
      The other reason is because they made it sound as though justice is DONE. Where terrorism is concerned, how is justice ever done?? All this does is breed more bombers to do something bigger and continue their ploys for destruction here in America!

7. Scribenet profile image87
    Scribenetposted 4 years ago

The suspect has hospital care and armed guards protecting him and if he survives, he will have due process of law just as every other citizen. The evidence being collected will determine his guilt or innocence. That is how the justice system works and every American is aware of that.

Meanwhile, several persons are dead and many maimed. The city of Boston was in lock-down, people worried about their safety, their peace of mind temporarily shattered. The cheering was for the police ending the situation and for survival. Just put yourself in their place and "relief" is easy to interpret in that response.

Boston did a terrific job handling a bad situation and the celebrations are celebrations of life.

As far as I am concerned, I think Bostonians triumphed against terrorism's attempt to instill fear. They can be proud of themselves for being so positive. It is about time people looked at the good. I loved the opening of the Red Sox game... that is what it is all about.

8. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 4 years ago

And for whoever said it reminded them of foreigners cheering when the Twin Towers were hit-----------for God's sake, the Bostonians weren't cheering an act of terrorism!   They were cheering because the terrorists were caught and now people would be safe from such murderous acts.  At least for a while.  Hopefully!

On this point we agree, Brenda.

9. Superkev profile image85
    Superkevposted 4 years ago

Seems to me that what you are expressing is a disdain or dislike for Law Enforcement here Lupita.

Muslims hated us and wanted to do us harm long before 9-11, somehow I don't think us cheering our law enforcement personnel for a job well done is likely to increase their hatred anymore than it is already.

What I am getting from you is that you are afraid that we are going to offend them somehow by cheering our heroes. To which I say...GOOD!!

As a retired law enforcement officer I spit on their graves. One is already there and the other I pray will be scheduled to meet his maker at the hands of the USDOC very soon.

LOL ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS.  As a Christian, law abiding American Citizen by Birth, Wife, Mother, Sister to both a marine sergeant and a war veteran, I would be the LAST person who would care to be "offending" anyone who would want to kill me or my family or my neighbors simply because of my choice in faith or where I lived!!  If anything, I expressed my utmost concern for future safety using a Hub Pages Forum!  People like you don't care to see that POINT. You would much rather just WIN your side of the argument. This forum had nothing to do with Muslims, nor did it have anything to do with the people on the streets in Boston who chose to cheer their hard working and passionate officers. And it had absolutely nothing to do with whether I agreed they were cheering. This forum was about the MEDIA. Its sad to know that I had to spell it out for you being a retired officer. So before you go on and accuse me or anyone else of being a "hater of law enforcement," perhaps you could have read a few of my HUBS first! Then you would have had some sense of who I was as a writer and what I cared about!

1. Superkev profile image85
        Superkevposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Then why do you feel we should not be applauding those who captured him AND showing it for all the world to see? Seems a bit contradictory to what you have been saying.

You said that all the cheering would do is to breed more bombers, seems like an argument as to why we should not be proud of a win for the good guys and to show that pride to me.

"Having pride is one thing. Flaunting it for the whole world to see is quite another."

So, tell me, why should we NOT flaunt it for all the world to see then? There must be a reason for you to say such a thing. Again, I think you are afraid that they will be offended, I see no other interpretation to what you are quoted as saying above.

10. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I think you are very right.  I watched the entire lead up after they had cornered the suspect and even watching it on tv, I felt the sense of relief and natural release to thank those who had helped capture Tsarnaev.  I thought of how I might react if it was my community.  My brother and his family live in Boston, I've been there many times and I love the city and surrounding communities.  If it wasn't so cold, I would love to live there.

11. LongTimeMother profile image97
    LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago

"Yes, great job to the Boston police and FBI for catching hopefully the last suspect in the marathon bombings but is all this applauding and cheering really necessary? Is terrorism finally over?? I doubt the victims' families are cheering tonight. They do deserve applause for successfully controlling the dangerous situation but won't the media's display of this appreciation to our heroes a motivation for other willing bombers to take their place?? The media forgets that the evil WORLD is still watching..."

Sadly, terrorism is not over ... and the definition of terrorism just keeps getting broader. I actually believe that the victims' families would be as close to cheering as grieving families can get. A prompt resolution is far kinder than a long, drawn-out process where the alleged perpetrators remain undetected.

I don't agree that the media's display of a community's appreciation is a a motivation for other bombers. I like to think that the death of one and capture of another is in fact a deterrent. It seems those brothers were under the impression they could get away with their crime. It sends a message to others who might have similar misconceptions about their invincibility.

As for the evil world still watching ... don't forget that the rest of the world is watching as well. Down here in Australia we were very relieved to see news of the arrest.

I have just finished writing a hub about a family here who couldn't convince their children to get on a plane to go to America because of all the bad news we see on the tv about the US. It is about time there was some positive news footage. Personally, I am hoping that every American including other law enforcement officers gain a sense of strength and pride from Boston's experience, and actively try to bring quick resolutions to more crimes.

Wouldn't that be a good outcome of the media reports?

(Of course I should point out we haven't seen the media frenzy you might have had in the US, so you need to factor the issue of distance into my perspective.)

Thank you for your thoughts on this, especially from an abroad perspective... apparently the U.S. seems scary nowadays with everything that has happened this week, even for just a visit!

1. LongTimeMother profile image97
        LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sadly, it is not just this week. Our tv news just moments ago reported another five dead in the US in a gun fight. I think they said Seattle. ?  By comparison, we had another story that gave a recap of every crime in Sydney including two store robberies. Sydney is a big city, yet the most the media can complain about is a couple of shops being robbed.
        Makes me glad I'm an aussie. I'd like to think US cities could experience this kind of low scale crime scene, but I'm not sure if that will ever be possible.

12. MG Singh profile image82
    MG Singhposted 4 years ago

Thank you, the facts will soon come out that both these bombers were actually in the pay of the CIA and turned renegade. All these celebrations will fall flat once the public know that the CIA knew about these bombers, who were in any case their employees. Its sad but true.

working