A Real Conservative

1. 0
    Sooner28posted 3 years ago

This is an article about Robert Nisbet.

In his book, The Present Age, he asserts:

"No nation in history has ever managed permanent war and a permanent military Leviathan at its heart and been able to maintain a truly representative character. The transformation of the Roman Republic into the dictatorial empire was accomplished solely through war and the military. Is the United States somehow the divinely created exception to this ubiquitous fact of world history? Not, assuredly, if instead of a foreign policy based on national security and finite objectives associated with this security, we indulge ourselves in a foreign policy with an "itch to intervene," and a purpose flowing out of the preposterous fantasy of a world recreated in the image and likeness of that city on a hill known as the United States of America. That way lies total confusion abroad and an ever more monolithic and absolute military bureaucracy at home (p. 39)."  My emphasis.

I must admit, that I have made a mistake in characterizing conservatives.  I took the modern "conservatives" for what a conservative is.  My apologies to those of you who are actual conservatives.

I think that was an error.  Modern conservatives are "statists" (to use libertarian jargon)just as much as they proclaim liberals are.  They want government in the bedroom and favor "decency laws."  They also favor an imperialistic foreign policy and a huge spying apparatus.  This strikes of totalitarianism to me.

1. innersmiff profile image88
      innersmiffposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The neo-con is a statist creation and has absolutely nothing to do with the conservative, or classical liberal, tradition. Unfortunately, many on the right see the neo-cons as the only option and attach themselves to them on the basis that 'the left' is worse.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image86
    tirelesstravelerposted 3 years ago

An itch to intervene?  Why does that phrase continuously come up when discussing the United States.  Who has an itch to intervene?