jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Why does the US believe its a good for the UK to remain in the EU?

1. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 3 years ago

Whilst more and more of the UK electorate believe they should have a vote on whether the UK should leave the EU it seems US politicians think its a bad thing, why.
    Even a former UK chancillor has now said the unthinkable and concluded that he thought the UK would do better outside of the European union.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I wanna check this out more when I have time.
      I already don't understand the purpose of the EU really.
      Is it mostly monetary?   Or is it societal and political?

1. Silverspeeder profile image60
        Silverspeederposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The main underlying purpose of the European Union was to bring peace to the region and reduce the risk of nationalism raising again. Under the first beginnings of the European coal and steel community and then the European economic community it increased it political powers and started to expand.
        Under the Maastricht treaty the member states became the European Union which seeks to centralise political power and trade.
        After almost 60 yrs of exsistance some point to its success in stoping war within Europe, others however are more inclined to believe the union had now become a petty dictatorship that used its power to hold sway over nations and their economies without proper mandate from the electorate of those countries.

2. innersmiff profile image87
    innersmiffposted 3 years ago

US politicians, as all politicians do, love statism, and love statism everywhere they can. The expansion of state worldwide is mutually beneficial to the US and the EU. The more countries that belong to the bureaucracy, the less dissent there is to the bureaucratic/imperialist empire.

They cannot also be seen as hypocritical: they cannot support the independence of one country whilst quelling all suggestions of nullification and secession of the states in the US.