Yesterday Mark Sanford (R), disgraced former governor of South Carolina, won a congressional seat yesterday in a special election.
Governor Sanford claimed to be on a hike in the Appalachians but was really visiting
his South American mistress.
He is now divorced and either engaged to or married to said mistress.
Anthony Weiner (D), disgraced former NY congressman, is vying to be mayor of New York.
Mr. Weiner's fall from grace stemmed from photos of his package that he sent to a woman and they somehow ended up on the Internet. Oops.
Here's a link to the article that spurred this thread.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the … t-exactly/
1. Is what Weiner did equal to what Sanford did? Worse? Not as bad? Why?
2. Will the public forgive Weiner as they apparently have Sanford?
3. Do you believe either or both deserve a second chance?
4. Do you think Weiner should be mayor of New York?
5. Other related (or unrelated) comments on sexual indescretions in politics....
1. I don't think tweeting a picture of your junk is as bad as using taxpayer money to fund your extramarital affair.
2. Probably. My guess is Republicans will be quicker to forgive Sanford and Democrats will be quicker to forgive Weiner. Personally, I don't care what politicians do in their private lives as long as they are good at their jobs. Sanford dishonestly utilized taxpayer money, though, so I wouldn't trust him again with a taxpayer-funded job.
3. Second chances are sometimes given, sometimes not. I don't know if anyone "deserves" them.
4. I have no opinion on whether Weiner should be mayor.
5. I don't care about sexual indiscretions; I only care about how the job is being done.
1 - how about sending pictures of your privates to a woman who didn't want to see them - isn't that akin to flashing a woman on the bus? Low life criminal and disgusting behavior. Sandford had a affair with an adult woman and not in the governors mansion. Do you feel the same way about Bill Clinton's using the public housing provided by taxpayer money to get his fun? or is there a double standard?
You're so rational and mature, PP!
Good to see you.
I am 100% on not caring what politicians do in their bedrooms or with whom -- as
long as they are not hypocritical about it. Don't pretend you're pious and vote
for "family values" when you're being a pole cat.
Only disagreement I feel on Weiner vs. Sanford.
People obviously have forgotten he used taxpayer money to fund his trip to
see his mistriss.
But no one will forget the ridiculous silliness around Weiner's photos. I think the
"in your face" nature of his "crime" will haunt and hurt him more than Sanford's.
Only because people won't be able to dissociate his name Weiner with his lapse
I will stop short of saying Dems caught in compromising positions are judged more
harshly than Reps. But I feel they are.
The only reason Sanford was because he was in a red state. All you have to do is tell the voters that God is offering forgiveness yadda yadda yadda.....
Ultimately, he left the country...HE LEFT THE COUNTRY to get some action.
I can't believe he had the gall to run again.
Sure you can, Cody!
God's forgiveness. He's so blessed. Yadda yadda is so right. Bullshi.
And how about that bizarre "debate" with a cardboard poster of Nancy Pelosi?
Shades of Clint Eastwood and the empty chair?
Actually a brilliant stroke. Nancy Pelosi is the most hated Democrat in Congress, right below Obama in making the right see red..
He didn't run against Colbert Bush, a real Democratic candidate.
He ran against Amazon woman herself.
Oh, I agree with you on the "family values" hypocrites. Actually, I can't bring myself to vote for anyone who touts themselves as a fine example of family values, American values, small-town values, etc. It turns me off completely.
I believe the most important question here is:
Did Weiner live up to his name?
by Ralph Schwartz7 weeks ago
After another embarrassing round of sexting, with Anthony Weiner this time posting a semi-clothed picture of himself with his child shown, Huma Abedin announced today her intentions to separate from him. Many...
by Stacie L5 years ago
I couldn't make up my mind if this story should go under the heading of entertainment,social issues or politics..Anthony Weiner offered Internet job by Hustler's Larry Flyntwell that's very apropos isn't it?How will be...
Copyright © 2016 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.