jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Homophobia On Display in New York

1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 3 years ago

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/nyreg … r&_r=0

When you tell your children that it's wrong to be gay, and that God is going to punish the United States for its "acceptance" of homosexuality, you helped create people like this.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Elliot Morales was a loser, an angry deranged gun cretin.

1. profile image0
        Sooner28posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good argument for gun control huh?

2. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Did I miss something in this article? I saw nothing to suggest that the shooter had been told as a child “that it's wrong to be gay, and that God is going to punish the United States for its ‘acceptance’ of homosexuality.” There is nothing to imply this tragedy was motivated by religious teachings. Perhaps you missed this part, “Mr. Kelly described a chaotic scene that involved a man seemingly out looking for trouble when he crossed paths with Mr. Carson and ended up shooting him in the face.” I would place the blame on intolerance in general and not on religious training.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

1. profile image0

You're right about that.

But 99 percent of opposition to homosexuality is based on religion.  I'm just basing it on the probabilities that a person who would go so far as to kill a homosexual probably has been told it's a threat to civilization (the same way people against interracial marriage thought it would end civilization).

This doesn't mean all religious people are intolerant of homosexuality, but that most opposition is rooted in conservative religious dogma.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
          Ralph Deedsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes.   "...Some of the priests leading the rock-throwing throngs who stormed past police cordons could be seen participating in the melee; one repeatedly slammed a stool into the windshield of one of several minibuses trying to carry the marchers to safety, while another punched marchers and tried to drag a driver out of a bus. Some gave their names in interviews....

" Instead, a bishop who helped to organize the mass turnout — ostensibly a counterprotest — said from the pulpit that while the violence was “regrettable” and those who committed it should be punished, the Georgian Orthodox Church was obligated to protest the gay rights rally and would “not allow anyone to humiliate us.”

“When there are so many people, it is difficult to speak only about Christianity and morals,” said the bishop, Iakob Iakobashvili, in his Sunday sermon in Tbilisi. “Many were not able to overcome their nature and saw enemies in the others, said bad words and punched them. I was told clergymen were among them. I am not able to either condemn or justify them. They are also humans....”

I wonder why it is that major religions are so preoccupied with sex?? Christians, Jews and Muslims?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/world … ?ref=world

1. profile image0

Yeah I saw that story also.  I wonder what would happen if pastors around the U.S. called for violence?  Would their followers repudiate them?

working