Do you believe this? Really?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Jodi Arias is giving her "closing statement." What?! WHAT!!!? WTF?! Unbelievable. The sympathy card? Really, Jodi? OMG.

1. thomasgene profile image61
      thomasgeneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They need to wire her up, flip the switch and forget it ever happened. Trying to "accommodate"  ridiculous people like this over fear of being labeled "insensitive" or "politically incorrect" is one of the main problems with our entire country, let alone our penal system.

1. fpherj48 profile image60
        fpherj48posted 10 years agoin reply to this

thomas.....Don't be shy....tell us how you REALLY feel...LOL.   I could not agree with you more.  You used that damned BUZZ term, "political correctness."   I can't tolerate it one more day!

2. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

She had a powerpoint presentation, complete with baby pictures and family pics. She had a t-shirt she designed that said "survivor" in support of domestic violence survivors, of which she claimed to be one. It was a circus. I just had to speak out on how outraged I felt as I watched it live. What a performance.

1. quotations profile image87
      quotationsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As much as this has become a circus, I was disgusted with the behaviour of the prosecutor. He was a condescending bully to many of the witnesses, and in my view brought the administration of justice into disrepute. Whatever your may think of Jodi Arias, the State has an obligation not to act like a common thug, and I was appalled at the way that the prosecutor addressed the witnesses.

What you see now is if Jodi's lawyers are to be believed at least a partly his fault because the tone he set during the trial phase has scared away any potential defence witnesses during the penalty phase. Arias is clearly mentally ill and the penalty phase should not proceed without proper psychiatric assessments and testimony. I think they are being way too eager to ram through a death penalty but in the end I would not be surprised if it gets overturned on appeal due to numerous errors.

Although I agree that she was correctly convicted, I think that she should not face the death penalty. To me the death penalty should never be given in cases of single homicide but should be reserved for multiple murders such as serial killers. What she did deserves is life in prison, but the whole process is a farce as far as I am concerned because the state should not even be asking for the death penalty.

The fact that she is putting on a defence to the death penalty phase which is likely to only anger the jurors speaks to the ineffectiveness of the process. She is not being properly represented, either because of her lawyers' shortcomings or as they say because they cannot work with her due to her mental health issues and all potential witnesses have been scared off by the bullying. The judge should have agreed to postpone the death penalty phase or take other steps to ensure that she had a fair chance.

jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You make a lot of sense, quotations. I did not follow the trial at all, only became interested at the time of verdict and sentencing. So I cannot argue with many of your points. I do agree, and was thinking as I watched, that her lawyers must have given up and said to her, "Do whatever you want."

2. fpherj48 profile image60

quotations......I can appreciate your feelings on this case, in terms of Juan Martinez and I understand why you have arrived at this opinion.  While I might agree with on a "personal" level, the reality of our country's Trial by Jury System of Justice, is what it is.....always has been and always will be, whether your average individual finds it intolerable or not.
        Juan Martinez, in the world of our Legal System, is exactly what a good Prosecutor needs to be and should be.  He is, btw, held in high esteem by his peers, as well as Judges.  He is the BULL DOG, every Prosecutor wishes they could be.  Believe it or not, Mr. Martinez is THE Prosecutor that Arizona seeks out for cases, such as this one.  He doesn't lose and the State of Arizona wanted to be assured a Total Victory in this particular case, for the reasons, that at this point, should be obvious to all.  I'd like to add, that were my son brutally butchered, as Travis was....I would WANT Juan Martinez in all of his unbearable obnoxiousness, as the Big Bad Prosecutor.
        I'm afraid that this finger, needs to be pointed directly at Jodi's inept Defense.....who, btw, tried everything imaginable, to weasle out of defending Jodi Arias.  Were they solid, smart Attorneys....they would have NEVER used a self-defense plea.  Rather, they should have gone straight to a Mental Health defense.  She is the PERFECT Mental Health defendant.  Jodi is the classic, hard core version of Borderline Personality Disorder.
        In any event....it's in the hands of 12 people and we cannot know what they will come back with, although I have very strong vibes as to what their penalty for Jodi will be.  We shall soon find out.

As a lawyer in Canada I have a different perspective on his court room behaviour. We have had a number of scandals in Canada where it turned out that dozens of people were convicted of murder but were in fact innocent. The root of the problem was the no holds barred pitbull attitude of a particular prosecutor. He bullied witnesses, suppressed evidence favourable to the defence. I know it makes it for good court room theatrics but the real goal should be fairness to all including the accused.

1. fpherj48 profile image60

OH, absolutely....I realize there can always be misconduct thrown in here and there, but then, isn't this why we have a JUDGE overseeing the operation?  I have seen totally egregious behavior and unforgivable prosecutorial misconduct......"Marty Tankleff," of New York, definitely comes to mind.  It has always been my opinion, that the thugs involved in that outrageous Circus, should have been made to pay dearly, in more than one way, for the years they literally & shamelessly, robbed from that innocent man's life.
            I shouldn't get started on that case.  My husband and I were up close and personal with that case...and to this day, I am not over my disgust & anger, with the Dirt Bags in suits, who screwed Marty in PLAIN SIGHT of anyone with even half a brain.  Simply unforgivable.
            In terms of your last comment....you make an absolute point.  Thanks for responding...

I googled the Marty Tankleff story. Sad to hear about what happened. Many professionals in the police and in the prosecutor's office lose sight of the fact that they should be trying to uncover the truth, not get a conviction at all costs.

I echo your sentiments and outrage, identically.  The problem is, we need to HOPE that the jury feels the same.  Were they angry at her disgraceful and shameless presentation?  Did it turn even ONE jurors head?  Can they focus on the brutal & heinous slaughter of Travis, at her hands?  The sheer evil she indulged in, as she took the life of a young, vibrant, talented & loving man......
      I keep my fingers crossed that her "moment on stage," was the same JOKE, to the jury, as it was to you and I and the vast majority of the public.   
      NOW, that she sees that "life" w/o parole, might possibly give JODI, a chance to "help those less fortunate & literate as her,"  she'll be OK with that?   OH, how nice, Jodi.  How DARE she?  The girl's got more delusions than a psyche ward for the criminally insane........
      If I was a juror.....THAT, is precisely why I would impose the Death Penalty.   Oops, sorry Evil Crazy Lady.......too late!

I hear you loud and clear, Paula.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 10 years ago

Maybe CNN can dovote their timeshare with more relevant issues not personal dramas like those cases. smile

Very true. And I might add that this is a variant of the Missing White Woman Syndrome that affects CNN. They would not have given a rat's a** if the parties has been African American. They are sensationalizing this trial because of the type of people involved.

Just sayin' it like you meant it, quotations.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Think CNN HLN is targeting audience during daytime which are housewives.

2. janshares profile image92

Yeah, prettydarkhorse. They let HLN carry that torch but it is all one  network, right?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

smile

4. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

I was floored to see how she packaged herself.  She is an unrepentant narcissist.  I think she honestly believes she has some sort of celebrity value, and that she can ride it out to even more fame after imprisonment.  I agree - CNN created at least a portion of this monster.  Get her off our screens, please, for all time.

+1

Marcy.....I'm with you, friend.  Longing to hear that sweet loud and abrasive "CLANK" of the cell Door.....forever!

3. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ditto, Marcy.  I could not have said it better myself.

4. AMFredenburg profile image70
      AMFredenburgposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yup!

I'd rather spend all the money the state would have to spend on her appeals if she gets the death penalty for Head Start-type programs for little kids.

5. Kathryn Stratford profile image89
    Kathryn Stratfordposted 10 years ago

I have intentionally not watched much about the case, because it makes me sick.
    If she were a man, I think she would realize she's not going to get away with it. If she were ever the victim of abuse, any sympathy she might have earned went away when she violently killed her man. She may not look like a monster, but she sure acted the part. I can hardly believe she wants sympathy!!!
    I can completely understand why you would want to voice your disgust here. Sometimes outrageous things happen, and you just got to say something about it!

Thanks, Kathryn, for sharing my sentiments.

6. AMFredenburg profile image70
    AMFredenburgposted 10 years ago

I'm against the death penalty because of the possibility of its being used against innocent people and because it gets used against the people who are least able to defend themselves in court. I'm all for letting Jodi Arias live, throwing her in jail, and leaving her there, with the hopes that her victim's friends and family can wipe any memory of her from their minds. The best revenge in this instance is obscurity.

I see your point of view, AMFredenburg. Death or life, I still can't get past that outrageous performance of a sympathy plea. The gall . . .

1. AMFredenburg profile image70

She's a piece of work, that's for sure! She needs to hope that there are people on the jury who just can't bring themselves to put another human being to death, because she is definitely not helping her own case. I think she's trying to manipulate the jury and the system, and it may backfire on her. People just baffle me sometimes. . . .

7. PeppermintPaddy profile image59
    PeppermintPaddyposted 10 years ago

No, not surprised. She did say that she was upset that Travis ruined her sex life during the trial. She's probably like, "Good riddance!"

I believe you're right, PeppermintPaddy.

1. AMFredenburg profile image70

Can the jury sentence the woman to shut the $#@@ up?! That would be nice! "We'll let you live, but you can never talk to the media again, ever!"

8. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I find changing the channel every time she comes on to be quite effective.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)