jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Political Compass

1. Levellandmike profile image84
    Levellandmikeposted 3 years ago

How many of you have tried this? Go here, take the test and see where you stand:
    I landed Economic Right: 2.12, Social Authoritarian: 0.31, which is a bit of a surprise since I consider myself more of a social libertarian by about the same margin.

2. innersmiff profile image87
    innersmiffposted 3 years ago

I have a problem with this poll.

For example, check out the first question:
    "If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."

The first problem is that it's a zero-sum game: it's either humanity or the corporations. Capitalists believe that, in a free-market, corporations are proven to be serving humanity by the fact that they're making profits. Where is the option for that?

The second problem is that 'humanity' is so hard to define. What does that even mean?

Third is that the assumption is, by clicking 'Agree', is that you're in favour of government intervention in the economy to gear globalisation towards 'humanity' or whatever they believe 'humanity' to mean, and gear your result towards economic left.

Most of these questions are absurd for libertarians to answer.

"There is now a worrying fusion of information and entertainment"  OK, so what does that mean if I agree with that? That I'm a liberal, conservative? My views on that don't really matter when it comes to politics because I don't want the government to intervene anyway.

I'm not going to take the test because the result will be misleading.

If you want to know, I'm economically right, and socially moderate, but I don't want there to be a government at all to intervene in these things.

1. John Holden profile image59
      John Holdenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The options are that you can strongly disagree right through to strongly agreeing.

Read the FAQs where they cover all your doubts about the test.

And if you don't know what humanity means . . .

1. innersmiff profile image87
        innersmiffposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't find the answer in the FAQ satisfactory - the ultimate assumption of the question is: "what part of society do you want government to benefit?". Since my argument is 'none', there is no answer for me on the question.

My point is that we all have our own idea about what is good for 'humanity', as is the point of political ideology. It's kind of like arguing: should we be in favour of good things, or corporations? Pretty dumb.

2. John Holden profile image59
      John Holdenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Don't think it too deeply - you obviously agree that EG should serve humanity, not strongly, but you do agree, you've just said so.

3. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

For comparison:

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Move your dot straight across just right of center and you'll find me.

4. MelissaBarrett profile image60
    MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago