The Future

1. 0
    Sooner28posted 3 years ago … _dystopia/

This seems to be true to me.  Look at the increasing use of medication for even regular life (such as losing a spouse or having an excited child), and the growing surveillance and perpetual warfare of the United States government. 

We are at a position where free speech doesn't have to be curtailed beyond the usual "clear and present danger" and "exposing classified information."  Since Americans have literally accepted their fate as serfs, the few voices in the wilderness have a minimal impact at best, and allow the powerful to claim they believe in freedom too, all the while knowing nothing will change.

I can read very far right literature (that says to abolish the IRS), and very far-left literature (that calls for civil disobedience and mass strikes), but guess what?  Neither group has an impact at all.  If I am a part of the ruling class, I am ecstatic at this state of affairs.  I can continue to keep the veneer of a free society, all the while continuing my consolidation of power.

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I have been arguing for 20 years that Big Brother is not watching us but that we're watching big brother. We tune into the nonsense on our TVs and internalize it without question. The TV is actually the biggest childcare provider in the U.S.. So the U.S. remains a warrior state and kids play war games rather than learn how to compute.

Also, what's missed here might be the idea that the wealthy ruthlessly divided the middle class against itself. So we argue on the web with our arrogant points of view then douse any constructive activity with a hit of pot, valium, vodka, pop corn, pizza, or Prozac.

2. innersmiff profile image86
    innersmiffposted 3 years ago

I don't like to give the ruling class that much credit. All we really need to do is stop paying taxes - then watch them rush to do what we actually want.