jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

California 9th circuit of appeals rules in favor of gay marriage

1. lorlie6 profile image85
    lorlie6posted 3 years ago

Although I am not a gay woman, I am extremely proud of the Golden State-among others-for joining the 21st century.

"Same-sex marriages have now resumed in California, after the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on Friday removed a stay that had kept counties from issuing marriage licenses to gay couples. The court's move comes two days after the Supreme Court ruled on a case involving the state's Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage."  NPR

2. lorlie6 profile image85

Does anyone have an opinion on gay marriage?

3. Vlorsutes profile image93
    Vlorsutesposted 3 years ago

I've always felt that if two people love each other and want to get married, they should be able to and be recognized by the government as a couple, and it shouldn't matter whether they're heterosexual or homosexual.

The American people have overcome racial and gender inequality in the past, and I think it's only a matter of time before this is accepted too. It'll just need to be spearheaded by people who aren't blinded by their religious views. The government, while holding to some religious ideals, was based on the principle of separation of church and state, so religious morals shouldn't hold back in the advancement of rights that have been denied a large portion of the population.

1. lorlie6 profile image85
      lorlie6posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I completely agree with you, Vlorsutes; it seems that this issue is the 'last taboo' we as a nation are facing.  Unfortunately, the religious right are a powerful and vocal force.
      Thanks for commenting,

4. lorlie6 profile image85

Strange...I just posted the comment above and it did not show up in the forums.  I'll change browsers!