jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)

Democrats MUSCLE huge stimulus to brink of passage

1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image30
    fishskinfreak2008posted 7 years ago

This is the Democrats' game plan now. They only seem to have MUSCLE. Bipartisan support? What bipartisan support? They can't maintain support in their own party. 7 DEMOCRATS joined 176 Republicans in opposing the proposal

2. Nickny79 profile image86
    Nickny79posted 7 years ago

Actually 11 democrats voted against the House version of the bill.  Republicans unanimously opposed it.  Republicans will do well to opposed the bill whether or not they have enough votes to shoot it down so that when the fallout of the "stimulus" is felt by the American people, the Democrats can take the exclusive credit for it.

3. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

In rare form, today, Nick, I see...

Since the GOP caused the economic mess, but the Obama administration must do the mop up, the Republicans are in no spot to say or do or claim anything.  Basically, they are irrelevant--bye, bye--go reinvent yourselves before the party of idiots expires altogether.

Obama is deadly as a politician--doesn't mean he isn't decent and is also looking for bipartisan support.  'Muscle' is a good word to use when it works.

4. Nickny79 profile image86

The only re-inventing that needs to occur is a return to conservative principles.  To the extent Republicans deviate from their core values, is the extent to which they lose power.  The Republicans lost NJ because they became indistinguishable from Democrats by "re-inventing themselves."   I predict a tremendous upset in NJ, incidentally.  People are SO angry with upside-down, liberal policies and oppressive taxes that there will assuredly be a conservative backlash this fall in the gubenernatorial election.  NJ will be a preview of the fate of the overreaching Democrats in Congress.

It's very easy to parrot sound bytes from MSNBC and the blogosphere to blame Republicans for the current financial situation, but there are Americans who know better and are well aware of role Democrats like Chris Dodd and Barney Frank had in creating this financial mess.  When this stimulus implodes, as it surely will, the pendulum will swing back to the Right.  Capitol Hill has been flooded with calls opposing the stimulus plan. The more people learn about it, the more they OPPOSE IT.  That's why the Democrats are in such a rush to get this bill signed.  They don't want to give anyone an opportunity to READ the 900 page document.  Republicans must continue to distance themselves from ALL of Obama's fatally flawed policies so that the American people can have no doubt as to who to blame when they fail us.  We have another Carter on our hands---take cover.

5. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 7 years ago

On another forum thread about a week ago maybe I posted a comment for you Nickny79....but last I looked it had been ignored.  I'll try again.......

Do you have your own blog?  If not, why not?

6. Nickny79 profile image86

And why do you propose I create a blog independent of Hubpages?

7. KCC Big Country profile image85

I'm not suggesting that you do it INSTEAD of HubPages!   You just seem to be highly opinionated, highly intelligent, and could possibly make some serious money doing what comes naturally to you.  It's just an idea.  And, no, I'm not selling blog sites or anything.  LOL

8. Nickny79 profile image86

It's not a bad idea except that I'm too busy with law school and studying for the bar exam to write seriously--and I don't consider this serious writing.  Once I'm finished with law school, I'll probably create a blog to promote myself professionally.

1. 0
      Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What, PR?  OMG, say it isn't so...

Will you throw in your players stuff for good measure just to make a few bucks?  wink

9. KCC Big Country profile image85

Most blogs aren't serious writing, are they?  Aren't they usually just writings and ramblings of people who have plenty to say.  That's you, buddy.  I certainly understand the need/desire to concentrate on the bar exam.....but they always say the most money can be found in doing something you'd do for free that doesn't feel like work.  If the idea seems ridiculous to be paid to do it you're probably on the right track.   Just something to think about, is all.  Good luck to you!   

Didn't mean to butt in.....it's just an observation on my part.

1. Nickny79 profile image86
      Nickny79posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I appreciate your observation and consider a compliment.  Thank you.

10. KCC Big Country profile image85

It was very much a compliment.  Carry on..........lol

11. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Yeah, care to outline those conservative 'principles,' a little bit in depth Nick?  And you are right, your writing here isn't very serious writing. (Entertaining, though, sometimes, lol.)  It is all very well to parrot conservative talk shows with the same old crap.  Let's see if you can give voice here to  these values that the pendulum will 'swing back to.'  Dare ya..

BTW, do I have to outline my set of sources and their specific biases for you again?  Didn't you read the list the first time?  I find MSNBC a bit pulpish...

Certain readers will always have the tendency to listen to somebody like Andrew Sullivan on the vagaries of the republican party, and not to a Rush Limbaugh wanna-be.  wink

1. Nickny79 profile image86
      Nickny79posted 7 years ago in reply to this

For conservative principles a good start can be found on my hubpages profile.

1. 0
        Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Sound bytes & vagaries.

12. Nickny79 profile image86

If you would like something with a little more meat (and it's red meat), the Federalist Papers and the Constitution are always good follow-ups.  I must warn you that they were written by dead white males, so brace yourself.

13. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Dead white males don't scare me, Nick.  Some living white males with funny wigs with 'interesting' red meat interpretations (chew it up and spit it out) of the writings of dead white males, supplemented with daily fixes of Rush Limbaugh style hate-mongering sometimes do.

What?  You cannot outline the priorities of the Republican agenda??  Do they even have an agenda, accept to war against Obama in a most obstinate and spoiled brat way?  lol  They're so classy!

14. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Some perspective:

It's worth noting that 28 House Democrats and 12 Senate Democrats voted for the final passage of Bush's big tax cut in 2001. (And remember, too, that Bush had barely won the presidential election the year before.) The size of that 2001 tax-cut package? $1.35 trillion.

Bipartisanship means nothing if it is only ever respected by one party. The GOP is borderline autistic in its understanding of the necessary to-and-fro of democratic government. Or rather: its ideological nature prevents it from engaging in the actual tasks of pragmatic government. Or from seriously thinking of the long-term national interest rather than the short-term partisan one.

working