jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Media coverage

1. tirelesstraveler profile image83
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

After a week of traveling, trying to get snatches of news when possible, this rankles me: there is  no news coverage in this country.  The media gets on a subject and beats it to death, excluding everything else.  In a week of traveling every airport TV has blared inch by inch detail of "The trial". The trial is now effecting my getting places and I life 3,000 miles away. The local talk radio show used to do a good job of  giving a broad smattering of news. Now it doesn't even get the weather correct half the time.

1. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The news has become part of the entertainment business. It needs to grab the attention of the watcher to satisfy the corporate sponsors.
      Here in the UK we have the BBC which at one time was considered world wide a a bastion of truth and honesty, with factual reporting and even public intrest stories. It has now been proven to be politically biased and its agenda is all about protection of its self and its left leaning union subscribing workforce.

tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How disappointing about the BBC.  I have frequently counted on them.

2. rhamson profile image77
      rhamsonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

To get a grasp on the news industry you should read "Bias" by Bernard Goldberg. The book gives you an incredible insight into network news and the media. Another good book is "Muzzled" by Juan Williams. It goes through the process and personal views that are allowed to be expressed by the reporters.
      I can't watch network news and have to watch Fox, CNN and MSNBC to even get a hint of what the actual story is. The knuckleheads that have the commentary shows are useless. Good luck with the newspapers as the spelling and grammar is usually wrong and that's with spellcheck!

I have been reading the Wall Street Journal.  Someone gave us a free subscription and I just renewed.

2. Angela Blair profile image82
    Angela Blairposted 4 years ago

I'm finding that the "news" is not news but the personal view of the reporter -- which is very disappointing. With the mess this country is now in it would be refreshing to learn the truth rather than the fiction. Good question!

So true.

working