jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

What are the dangers of forgetting the American Dream?

1. andrew savage profile image60
    andrew savageposted 3 years ago

As we continue to globalize our economic ways and cultural aspects, what dangers do we face as capital growth and distribution decline in the homeland?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The American Dream was always unattainable by a large portion of the population.

1. Credence2 profile image86
        Credence2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I dunno, some 50 years ago it was possible to work blue collar factoryjobs that paid enough under union contracts to allow one a reasonbly good what was considered middle class lifestyle, a chicken in every pot, a mortgage, car and kids in college.

The interests of the proletariat and bougeosie were the same, increasing profits for everyone in an American economy that was far more insular in nature. The unions increased wages, the management went along and simply passed the costs to the consumer in higher prices. It worked until globalization, so now what was good for General Motors is not necessarily what is good for America anymore. Technology and globalization has destroyed much of the industrial base and the previous relationship between capital and labor in the country. As you say, it was never really nirvana,at any time, but now the words of the late George Carlin resonates, "The American Dream":  you have to be asleep to believe it.

2. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 3 years ago in reply to this

By its very nature the American Dream being about self improvement will cause increased stratification in the social-economic classes and cause wealth to accumulate upwards. It was never about redistribution of wealth which is an anathema to most Americans it seems.

2. janesix profile image73
    janesixposted 3 years ago

Do you mean, If we continue to be gluttonous pigs, will we manage to strip the world off the remainder of it's limited natural resources before someone else can get to them first?

1. andrew savage profile image60
      andrew savageposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Last time I checked I was a human- I passed the test to see whether or not I have a pig face- clearly I do not. But I am sure there are other ways to check to see if one is a pig- I know I have five fingers on each hand and five toes on each foot unlike the two toed pigs that irritate me because of their existence alone.
      Please be kind to Mankind and only use the word pig when you are referring to such a fowl creature.
      Where did you acquire such a behavior?

1. janesix profile image73
        janesixposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am not truly worried about the porcine behavior of human beings. Nature has ways of righting itself .