jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

No Home Delivery Option in the Works

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/23/news/ec … index.html

The U.S. Postal Service is marching towards a more "centralized delivery," where residents pick up their own mail from clusters of mail boxes located in their neighborhood. Local postmasters are sending hundreds of letters to fast-growing communities, warning that cluster boxes will be the way mail will be delivered to new developments.
    The Republicans are proposing this option to save money . Idon't know how well this will work in rural areas...Anyone have thoughts about this?

1. paradigmsearch profile image89
      paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've already been driving by cluster boxes on the way to the store for years. And this is where there are houses. And for security reasons, the boxes aren't even labeled. The homeowner has to remember the position; so many boxes down, so many across. Cluster boxes are already a fact and here to stay.

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Aren't cluster boxes more prone to vandalism and break ins?
        I guess it's one way to meet the neighbors! smile

1. Reality Bytes profile image92
          Reality Bytesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Messing with the postal service comes with huge consequences.  Not really worth it to the educated criminal, (too much time for the crime).  Unless there was knowledge of valuables in the box, they should be safe.

2. 84
      Education Answerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm a conservative, and I have a different view on this.  I just posted a serious concern in another forum here on HubPages.  My point was that the government is never efficient, and when it tries to have a program that is self sufficient, it usually fails.  Our postal system is a prime example.  Costs have increased and increased.  Now, services are to be reduced.  This is how our government works.  It is inefficient.  Now, we've given our government the power to oversee a 2-3 trillion dollar industry, healthcare.  Why should we ever trust our government with financial oversight of yet another program when it can't even run what it has right now?  It's like hiring Enron's CEO to be the CEO of your business.  You get what you deserve.

I am opposed to the new postal proposal.

3. gregas profile image73
      gregasposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I really don't see a problem with this except for one thing. I lived in a mobile home community where they had the cluster delivery system and I had no problem with that. It was very easy to stop on the way in and pick-up my mail. Now I live in a retirement community and the one problem I see for some is that there are certain individuals that have a hard time getting around and they will have to rely on someone else picking up their mail and if they are anything like me they won't want to rely on someone else to do anymore than they have to for them. Just something to think about, and I realize most people don't think about the older generation, but they need to because we ALL get their eventually. My opinion, Greg

2. bn9900 profile image88
    bn9900posted 3 years ago

I believe they are meaning in more populated areas, Apartments, condos and new subdivisions in my area at least have it this way. Not only does it save money, but saves backache on mail carrier and if folks cant walk to a mail box in the midl of the block...god forbid they talk to their neighbors.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Not allowing the postal service to diversify (sell other stuff, not increase prices significantly etc) and not protecting them from competition (couriers, UPS  etc) in the most profitable urban markets, inevitably means services will be cut.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

I think the USP carriers will be able to keep their jobs because FedEx and UPS are not dropping off appliances and other items up to 70 lbs for the carriers to deliver. My poor lady carrier delivered one such 50 lb item to me lately that I helped out of her car.