jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

To all Black people out there, what is YOUR prescription and solution

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

to the horrifically endemic sociocultural and psychosocial pathologies which are blatantly rampant in the Black underclass communities.  While some of us are becoming more educated and becoming upper middle or upper class and making a better life for ourselves and our children, some of our Black brothers and sisters are erring and becoming worse.  Yes, we Blacks realize that there is covert racism but that should never be an excuse not to educate and better ourselves and our children.

Black Americans especially are among the racial strata of people who are still impoverished in large numbers. Many ethnic and racial groups come to this country impoverished and within 2-3 generations are solidly middle class or better.  There have been social improvement programs such as LBJ's war on poverty, the Haryou program and other social programs designed to eradicate Black poverty.  Yes, some Black people left poverty and became middle class.  Even before such programs were instituted, many poor Blacks, such as my parents, left poverty and became middle class through their own hard work, sacrifice, and education. 

It saddens and angers me that many poor Blacks elect not to better themselves, blaming the outer society and/or "the man" for their dire socioeconomic predictament.  Black victimology seem to be the new "in" thing among many poor Blacks.  They refuse to realize that the only people who can help them is THEM.  It is GETTING WORSE instead of better.   Let's discuss this.

1. Credence2 profile image86
      Credence2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hello, Grace

So lets discuss it, the problem so many of our group finds itself in are multi-faceted. I, like you, have been pondering this for many years. Our backgrounds are similar.  I could either fill this thread to point it will become no longer navigable or offer these links(articles) that I think can offer some explanation to you and followers of the thread.

http://credence2.hubpages.com/hub/One-P … ica-Part-I

http://credence2.hubpages.com/hub/One-P … ca-Part-II

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Credence2, thank you for your input.  This situation in the Black underclass saddens me.  Why a multillion times?  I have also addressed in a hub relating to black victimology.

1. Credence2 profile image86
          Credence2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think that in all fairness, we have to recognize that a lot has changed and that the traditioal routes to upward mobility is really there today as it was just a generation ago, and this apply to all of us, regardless of race. In the face of this the problems of those in the inner cities ar multiplied 10 fold.

2. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 3 years ago

You make some valid points no doubt about that. There is however a number of mitigating factors that affect the Black community. Being black in America in spite of economic and social improvements people are still constantly stereotyped every day of their lives. It still seems as though Black human life isn't valued the same as other people's lives in America.

The prevailing attitude in America seems to be Mo Money, Mo money and if that is how we measure success then I value for human ethics go out the window. We look at people who are wealthy and we say they are a success so when we offer African-Americans lucrative contracts for gangsta rap and we are following in the idea of what some Americans consider just making Mo Money.

Clearly African-Americans need to do better with how we look at ourselves and how we look at others but there is some cleaning up that has to be done certainly in the Black community but also in social society as well. One cannot say they're in support of African-Americans when they look down on African Americans.

1. dewilliams30 profile image80
      dewilliams30posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't feel like we have an excuse to continue to not do better,  seek resources that are available to us.  I've lived that life with struggling parents who didn't seek a higher education never talked with me about getting a higher education because they didn't see how  myself or my siblings could.  I sought outside assistance. My grandmother wanted to continue to live in a poverished state.  She wanted to stay connected to that life because she a huge part of the problem.  Drug dealings, pimping etc. If we don't break the cycle who are we expecting to break it for us. We aren't tired yet of living mediocre lives being placed as uneducated and poor? When are we going to stop being content with holding our hands out? There's no excuse.  Others are fighting for education we don't want an education?  Others leave their countries whereas they desire a better way of life yet we've been here the longest and has yet to build produce stronger foundations. We are the only race of people that are ok with putting each other down.  Through media, reality television etc.  We only have ourselves to blame for our setbacks.  When we can stop making excuses we can start living beyond our potential to do more than place blame and collect assistance. I'm a single mom with one child who makes honor roll grades and has goals to attend college.  I am a college graduate.  I've broken that cycle.  It's not hard to do.  I've never made those excuses.  I've always worked hard at what I wanted to have in life. To say that society doesn't want to see African American people to succeed is just another excuse to not succeed.  Just because there's obstacles to deter you along the way it's not a reason to not push through and succeed. Where we fail is that we need to get out and explore more. Take a good look at how other people live and really see how they struggle to survive. How they struggle with dealing with being afraid to think and believe a certain way and yet we have so many outlets. The freedom to set paths on many roads and yet we don't because society doesn't want us too?

1. SpanStar profile image60
        SpanStarposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Sadly too many African-Americans accept the brainwashing of mainstream America. America proclaims that White is beautiful and perhaps if they say it enough times there are those African-Americans who started reaching for the bleaching cream.

Mainstream America says African-Americans don't have a father in the home and this is what leads to problems in the African-American community but what they don't say is the social services is saying to the mother is we will pay you more money if you kick your spouse out of the house.

There is trouble in the Black community no question about it but personally I have stopped listening to the bias and the lies by those who still exist today as seeing African-Americans as less than others.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Totally agree 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 percent.  It is TIME that the ad infinitum excuses cease!  There is NO EXCUSE not to succeed in America.  Being from a low income or impoverished background is NO LONGER a viable excuse to fail and not to succeed!  Thank you again, dewilliams30!