jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Women Victimized at Gas Stations by "Sliders"

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 3 years ago

"Sliders" are robbing unsuspecting women who leave their purses on the front seat as they fill the gas tank. These slime balls sneak over to the passengers doors and quietly pull the purse out as the victim is preoccupied at the pump.
    What a new low!
    Easy money for low-lifes who don't want to work.
    http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_news/ … s_stations

1. Silverspeeder profile image59
      Silverspeederposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Why is it victimisation?

Criminals don't see you as a woman they see you as an easy target, let's face it you are not the first to leave valuables in full view with easy access in an automobile.
      My question is and I assure you I am not being derogatory, have you learnt something from your unfortunate incident?

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Surely any act with a victim (i.e. theft) is victimization?

And OP did not have this experience, she is just passing on a warning.

1. Silverspeeder profile image59
          Silverspeederposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My apologies to OP then.
          OP seemed to infer that only women were victimised in this way, but them maybe I just read the post wrong.

1. Silva Hayes profile image94
            Silva Hayesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The majority of victims probably ARE women because (1) men don't usually carry handbags or purses and (2) the robber probably feels that women are often physically weaker than men and the robber stands a better chance of not getting beat up.  Just logical. 

I have gotten into the habit over the years of keeping my vehicle's doors locked at all times.  My van has a good safety feature.  When I approach it and hit the unlock button on the remote, it only unlocks the driver side door.  I would have to hit it twice in order to unlock all the doors.  So usually all the doors stay locked except for the driver's.

2. psycheskinner profile image81
            psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

OP was probably reflecting the tone of the original post, which was on a woman's issues type blog.

2. ikepius profile image74
      ikepiusposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think this is terrible. I recommend that women should carry bags that they can sling on. (Some of them are quite pretty) That way they dont actually have to put their bags aside.

working