jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What TEN changes would you suggest to revitalize our current American

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

politcal system?  Do YOU feel that the Democratic and Republican parties as they are now are ineffectual and politics as usual? Wny? Why not?  Would YOU feel that it would be better to have a grassroots political movement in America? Why? Why not?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
      Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I wish we could wake up the Native Americans and tell them we want to join them.... We need to work with them.  They need to work with us. We are going to need their wisdom as far as living harmoniously with nature and each other.  I know they were all quite war happy in history...
      Let us have a nation again. Let us design a new party. Let's invite the Indians!
      Sorry, I know this is nuts.
      ...or is it?
      Should I call all Native Americans?
      I would love to know their thoughts
      Our and Their Land.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
        Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago in reply to this

First thing they would say is get rid of computer technology.
        Second thing is no pregnancy before marriage
        Third thing is respect the rivers, mountains, plains, and fields.
        Respect the seeds and do not adulterate them.
        Respect all mothers and fathers and
        the Great Spirit.
        Vote for the wisest chief in the land. The wisest chief in the land must be elected without the influence of money. 
        Yes this is nuts.
        We are doomed.

2. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The first thing would be to actually bring the "Democrat" Party back to being the Democrat Party instead of what it has become.     ....even though it could use a lot of improvement even if it returned to its former position.....
      And there has already been a grassroots political movement.  It's still going on,  despite the efforts to denounce it and despite the fact that some of its leaders are trying to make it into something it wasn't meant to be (just a political Party instead of a forum for patriotic citizens.)

The other 9 things?........
      Most of those would fall into place if we succeeded in doing the first thing.

3. rhamson profile image77
      rhamsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately many Americans know very little as to how the government works or even care. I have talked to a lot of young people in my area and they either haven't the knowledge to speak on the issues or just shrug their shoulders and say oh well what can you do. I was talking with a 21 year old the other day and he did not know what Obamacare was or how it could affect him in any way. Many feel that if the government leaves them alone they will be just fine. A bunch of ostriches if you ask me.

2. pagesvoice profile image86
    pagesvoiceposted 3 years ago

Get rid of political PACs.
    Undo the SCOTUS decision allowing corporations to be classified as people.
    Stop both parties from redrawing political districts.
    Put in place strict campaign finance reform.
    Get rid of the Electoral College and go with a popular vote.
    Strictly enforce the separation of church and state.
    Require members of Congress to work more than the 126 days they are currently in session.
    Stop the filibuster.
    Put in place term limits.
    Require a 10 year moratorium on politicians entering into the lobbyist business.

Perhaps the above is somewhat vague, but it's a start.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image68
    Ralph Deedsposted 3 years ago

Sarah Silverman says support the Black NRA--arm all the black people:

4. innersmiff profile image86
    innersmiffposted 3 years ago

Notify its next of kin before we turn off life-support, because it is beyond help at this point.