jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

America-Another Wonderful Day for Killing

1. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 3 years ago

Teen chills Australian baseball player because they were bored.

How long, how many deaths is it going to take before America pulls its head up out of the sand?

What morals, ethics are being taught to anyone to where we are not consistently seeing insane murders and acts of atrocities?

Sitting on our hands and every time one of these situations comes up we singled it out and proclaim we don't have a problem-America Has a Very Serious Problem!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/261909316800 … 4913880001

Columbine, Movie theater killer, Stand Your Ground Law, College Text Shooting, Oklahoma City bombing

Just how many more do I have to list that a blind man can see America has A Problem with Death.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes it does.
      But no more than any other Country.   And much less than some.

Take comfort in knowing that America still has its legal justice system in effect (well.....as much as it can be in effect with the leaders it has currently!)      Our justice system at the very least does hold murderers and terrorists responsible.   Unlike some other Nations whose government allows beheadings and other executions in the streets with no one held to responsibility for it.

1. Zelkiiro profile image84
        Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago in reply to this

And a hell of a lot more than every other industrialized first-world country.

1. 0
          Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That's debateable I think.
          But anyway,   it does no good to criticize a Nation for the actions of a portion of its citizens UNLESS as I said the Nation condones their actions and ignores justice for them.
          Human nature goes far astray sometimes.    There are always gonna be Americans (just like in any Country) who commit heinous crimes etc.

2. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Everybody seems to want to fix the problem after the fact. These "bored" teens have a history no one knows at this time. Where they raised to respect others and value life even if it is not their own. It our fault as parents who raise the little darlings in a protected and fault free environment. The schools teach the children whatever is easiest is the best way and reward them accordingly. When the children get into trouble with the law we hire the best legal team we can find to get them off. What do you teach someone who has not felt the consequences for their actions? Trying to get a child to understand at the end of their upbringing that until then had no connotations other than it was not their fault is too late. I never was able to show any of my children by somebody else's mistakes not to do the same thing. They had to learn by their own punishment not to do the thing that they were being admonished for. This incident was in the making from a very early age for these bored teens.

SpanStarposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You make a number of relevant points. In this country it would appear that America has taken away the ability to discipline one's own children. The idea of standing a child in the corner is going to some how set them on the road of the straight and narrow seems to be an illusion.

In my growing up I had a number of beatings (that's right I didn't say spankings) and what a shock that I haven't turned out to be a homicidal maniac. If change is to take place there must be sacrificed and consequences serious enough to be considered.

1. rhamson profile image76
          rhamsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The funny thing is that I wonder if standing the child in the corner exhibits the same control as does a smack on the butt. Do kids respect the power over them that the disciplinarian has when they know they just have to wait out the punishment and go on their merry way. Or does a painful display of power over the child have a deeper meaning early on to obey and as they get older and the corporal punishment goes away do they understand its' merits or at least to not repeat the same lessons?
          I too got a healthy helping of spankings but you know what? I needed them.

2. SpanStar profile image60

Brenda you make a number of good points pertaining to law and other countries. Our concern however should be America since we do not govern these other countries.

We can no longer look the other way as horrendous crimes continue to grow in America. We cannot say we are Americans and everything we do is acceptable-that is unacceptable, we expect that children to be held accountable for the things we do we as American adults should also follow that same guideline.

Our justice system is not the fair and equitable system that we proclaim it to be, there are far too many innocent Americans in jail. Innocent Americans in the police station being brutalized by law enforcement and we just sit back and accept it?

We cannot hold ourselves up as an example for other countries if we behave like other countries.

The moment we stop criticizing our government that is the moment we have blinded ourselves to the harsh reality of injustice.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately, criticizing our government for not addressing a problem we don't want addressed isn't going to help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … 1SZurGArxE

Can you detect the irony in somber celebrities (our role models in far too many cases) decrying violence and then earning their living from depicting graphic violence in their movies?

It isn't our government; it's US.  It isn't our justice system that actively promotes violence, and it isn't our politicians tiptoeing around the problem with solutions that we know have nothing to do with it, It's US - our fascination and glorification of violence.

SpanStarposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Wilderness you are correct, it is US the government however as well as the actors are still US.

Our love for violence in this country is the cancer which is killing us. Our refusal to accept this idea that our lust for bloodshed is the pervasive idea that it is harmless. Therefore whenever it comes time to make the hard decisions about doing something regarding curbing or stopping this problem We the People Resist Any Sort of Change!

The problem is US and us means America!

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, the government is us, and not some outside group.  Same with actors; they too are a part of us and that they are willing to completely ignore their ethics to earn more (whether by acting out violence OR by putting on a sad show against their own depiction of same) says something about both them and our society in general.  The rest of us, after all, are paying them and looking up to them.

Sad and pathetic.

3. SpanStar profile image60

88-year-old veteran beat to death by 16-year-old youth.

Again the cry goes out is anyone teaching ethics and morals any more?

It would appear that there are those who have no respect for anything or anyone. The writing is on the wall America is going to collapse from within.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08 … -wash?lite