jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Delaying War on Syria

1. marwan asmar profile image78
    marwan asmarposted 3 years ago

Barack Obama's decision for Congress approval, the British Parliament's vote against military action on Syria, and the French president's wanting the approval of his parliament, all suggest what the media say there is a "war fatigue" against war on the region. Any thoughtful comments on that?

1. HowardBThiname profile image89
      HowardBThinameposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's a good move for Obama to seek permission, but there is also a downside. He's asking for broad permissions to do whatever he deems necessary. That's a bit more than the narrow and limited strikes he first advocated.

If Congress gives him permission - he will have the authority to escalate a war.

If they don't, he's limited - but he might still attack.

2. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Who really knows what happened is what I would query. Have we learned nothing since we jumped into Iraq?

2. innersmiff profile image86
    innersmiffposted 3 years ago

Before a war can take place, it's a constitutional requirement for the US President and the British Prime Minister to consult congress and parliament respectively. I'm not sure about France.

I more or less agree with the thesis but not the evidence you present in favour. The people tire of war, but the state loves war.

3. maxoxam41 profile image79
    maxoxam41posted 3 years ago

Especially when satellites pictures show missiles coming from a region controlled by the rebels and reaching the area where civilians were gassed! Fortunately, now, we have proof against our president that is so eager to honor his debts towards the elite!