jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

The Syrian Crisis

1. cbunch11 profile image83
    cbunch11posted 3 years ago

What do you think the level of involvement, if any, that the US should take in Syria? Should we launch a missile strike immediately? Should we make sure that the Assad regime was truly involved? Or should we stop playing Empire and stay out of other countries affairs?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
      Ralph Deedsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That's a tough question not susceptible to pat, easy answers. I'm inclined to agree with the President that a poison gas attack should not go without a firm but limited response.

2. rhamson profile image75
      rhamsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I think we should mind our own business. These little wars and confrontations only stir up anti-American sentiment and solve nothing in the overall scheme of things. They should be allowed to wage their own war and find out for themselves the horror ad loss of it and gain an appreciation for peace.

cbunch11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I can't say I disagree with you, but I also don't feel comfortable staying out of it if innocent people are getting slaughtered.

1. rhamson profile image75
          rhamsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Innocent people are always at loss when it come to any war. They are brutalized by it and forgotten when it is over. Syria has been abusing its' people and their rights for years by the "elected" officials in their elections. A film "Bodies of Lies" delved into the corruption of both the US and Syria when it came to espionage. Not that it is a documentarian view I can endorse, it does show you a glimpse of the workings within the powers that be. There are plenty of victims in this war. If you can relate to our own defining Civil War there were many innocent and not so innocent people victimized notwithstanding the slaves and locals who had to bare the terror and clean up and carry on after the ravages of that war.

cbunch11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

This is certainly true of any Civil or any other war. There was a gentleman on NPR today who has written two books on Syria and even spent time with Assad a couple of years ago. I am going to have to see if the library carries them so I can get a possible different perspective on this conflict.

2. 0
    Deb Welchposted 3 years ago

I have thought about this problem and the US should do something.
    Maybe Drones - sanctions - hunt down Assad and put him in a wheel
    chair.  One thing about all this mess is that nothing was done quickly
    which shows intelligence on our part.

3. sannyasinman profile image83
    sannyasinmanposted 3 years ago

Yes, the US, UK and France should stay out of other countries affairs.
    But they wont, because their reason for taking military action has nothing to do with "chemical weapons" or "defense" . . .
    . . and Nobel Peace Laureate Obama has started more wars and is responsible for more killing than any of his predecessors.