jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Syria: Why Intervene?

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 3 years ago

The Obama Camp says the U.S. must teach the MORAL lesion that a country cannot use chemical weapons.

The Obama Camp also has a PRACTICAL reason. It’s a domino theory. If Syria is not attacked, then that will empower Iran, and an empowered Iran will attack Israel (Iran,… right? … whose government the U.S. over threw in 1953 has to be put into its place again)

But the U.S. has little moral standing in the world after 12 years of bombing children and families in Afghanistan and Iraq (probably 5,000 kids slaughtered.)

And isn’t it all about the reflexive use of power to show that the U.S. is still top dog? Top dog at what? Creating chaos?

Your thoughts.

2. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

The situation in Syria between the rebels and the government is like a group of Christians (any kind, really) running around killing Muslims (any kind, really)--no matter whose side you take, you're defending a bunch of lunatics.

1. maxoxam41 profile image80
      maxoxam41posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Which lunatic is supported by more than 70% of his people?
      We are the lunatics that don't mind killing by only pressing on buttons (better for our conscience), aren't we big children after all?
      Dr Billy, I FULLY agree with you!

1. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
        Dr Billy Kiddposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Oh, I missed the argument that pressing buttons to kill people (with "no boots on the ground") somehow adds some moral purity to bombing Syria. "It's just a few cruise missiles....."

1. maxoxam41 profile image80
          maxoxam41posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Just a few cruise missiles... Nothing else, right? Why are we making a big deal of it, shall I add?

working