jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What makes some people believe that government assistance, so-called government freebies, and other forms of government handouts are good? Don't THEY realize that with such assistance, there are strictures and rules? Government assistance and handouts oftentimes come with a VERY HIGH PRICE indeed. Anytime people have to depend upon someone or something, be it the government or person, they give THEIR POWER, INDEPENDENCE, and OWNERSHIP away and are on behest of the government and others. Do YOU agree with this premise? Let me EARN MY OWN WAY, thank you kindly!

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The independence as a starving homeless person mugging people to survive?

I would rather they were helped during bad patches.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

My daughter in law, offered a free ride through college as a single mom with two kids if she would just quit her job, turned it down and scraped the bottom of the icebox for a year instead.  Not easy and not fun, but she came out of it still owning her soul (and independence) and with her head held high.

Smart girl.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
        gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Girl with enough assets to do that.  People who don't need benefits should not claim them.  people who do, should.

3. Rod Rainey profile image83
      Rod Raineyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Independence is an illusion; even millionaires depend on others. The thing about those of us with money is, we don't have to establish relationships with those who take care of us. The idea that we should be independent causes senseless shame in those who can't cut it. It destroys communities and makes people lonely.  http://sacred-economics.com/

4. Rod Rainey profile image83
      Rod Raineyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

also "Seven studies using experimental and naturalistic methods reveal that upper-class individuals behave more unethically than lower-class individuals. In studies 1 and 2, upper-class individuals were more likely to break the law while driving, relative to lower-class individuals. In follow-up laboratory studies, upper-class individuals were more likely to exhibit unethical decision-making tendencies (study 3), take valued goods from others (study 4), lie in a negotiation (study 5), cheat to increase their chances of winning a prize (study 6), and endorse unethical behavior at work (study 7) than were lower-class individuals. Mediator and moderator data demonstrated that upper-class individuals’ unethical tendencies are accounted for, in part, by their more favorable attitudes toward greed."  http://www.pnas.org/content/109/11/4086.short

2. pagesvoice profile image85
    pagesvoiceposted 3 years ago

Your question is somewhat of a sticky wicket. I get the impression you are referencing a presumption that "everyone" is capable of working. Contrary to those who love to look down upon the downtrodden, there are many people who simply can't be gainfully employed for a myriad of reasons, including, but not limited to both mental and physical disabilities. Are there some people who con the system? You bet there are...although many simply can't work and because of that they should NOT be looked upon as lazy, no good freeloaders.

I worked one full time job and two part-time jobs while going to college at night. It wasn't easy and it consumed a lot of my early adult life. My educational assistance came through my employer and not the government. However, just because I sacrificed and did that doesn't necessarily mean others can do the same in today's environment.

Unlike what the limited, tunnel vision "tea party" people want to believe, the world is NOT black and white and there are many more gray areas than areas that suit a cause/doctrine.