jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Does anyone remember this song? Masters of War.

1. Ericdierker profile image81
    Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago

Now I am not saying this applies as much as today as when it was written and carpet bombing was still in use. I think it has kind of shifted to technology rather than massive destruction. But perhaps that is just a shift in money sources and the principle/principals remain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwuWL7uUFl0 (hey do not skip the ad it is hilarious)

I am not an isolationist. And I think we have some duty to prevent genocide and weapons of mass destruction. But the truth is becoming so hard to discern. I heard of a TV station paying people to protest in Turkey so they could increase their ratings and sell the footage worldwide. We have decreased fatalities on the battlefield but we have increased the seriously wounded and disabled and actuarially decreased benefits.

I am not saying we should not rise up against crimes against humanity. And I am as baffled as most Americans about Syria. Damned if we do and Damned if we don't.

But I think Pulitzer prize winner Bob Dylan in this song should give any human pause to think. I just hate the line in here where it says "fear to bring children into this world".

2. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 3 years ago

Do you really hate that line?
    I know it still sends shivers down my spine but hate it, no, I could no more hate it than the sentiments it expresses.

Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Well you got it -- shivers down my spine --- I do not like those. I guess I should have said "I hate the truth in this line"

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image85
        Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago in reply to this

- thanks for the link, eric.
        - thanks for the discussion.
        There will always be reasons to fight.
        Power is the bottom line, I think.
        - stupid Power.
        (unless it is for the sake of self-preservation, of course.)

Too often I think it is stupid hate over what your grandfather did to mine. And so it starts out small -- then someone sees an opportunity in the conflict and escalates it and then it starts resulting in genocide or total destabilization of a region or ally and then...... The UN and if not then us.  I think you are right power is the reason for interference -- but WMD's and genocide are the excuses. Terrorism is another such scenario.

3. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Ehhhhhh, I've never been a fan of Bob Dylan. Like, at all.

Related: Here's another song calling for peace.
    Orphaned Land - All is One

Sorry about the delay there. Loved the video and song --- but as I am old I can  not get all the lyrics so I had to go look for those. Great album. I really like a simple man. Thanks much really cool stuff.

ps you are not supposed to like Bob Dylan he is a genre that is meant in large part to bother you. lol