jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

The Navy Yard killings.

1. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago

The Navy Yard shootings.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/off … story.html

It's apparent to me that our military branches and military-related areas need to tighten their security measures,  submit its people to more frequent checks,  and also somehow enforce better mental health vetting and/or counseling for soldiers and anyone else who wants security clearance.

What measures do you think should be put in force to maybe prevent or cut down on shootings like this and the Fort Hood mass shooting?

1. 73
      Writer Chuckposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi Brenda,

The first thing the military can do is use common sense instead of politically correct thinking and speech.  They should also learn the difference between an AR15 and a shotgun.  Who ever told the media that this guy had an AR15 started another rant on the second amendment. There is no way that the military shouldn't have know about his record and made the necessary changes in his status, Federal employees are getting away with substandard service and in some cases receiving bonuses for their work. The Veterans employees for example.

1. 0
        Brenda Durhamposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi Chuck!   I hope you're doing well these days!

Yep, I saw some of those rants about gun control;   they didn't waste any time trying to push their agenda, did they?!
        And I just heard about the company that vetted the shooter.    Yet they claim they "don't keep" the information.   uhhh weird or just plain false?    I have a link here somewhere.............

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09 … g-suspect/

but somebody surely keeps that information and is responsible for the lack of security.

I think the Navy Yard killer went crazy or something.
        But as  far as Edward Snowden,  from what I've heard of him, I consider him more of a whistle-blower than a traitor.

It just gets me that so many people are being killed by military people on our own bases!   In an actual foot war,  there's always been a thing called "friendly fire" where mistakes were made and a soldier unintentionally kills a fellow soldier or innocent people.   But this stuff with the Fort Hood killer and this latest one is, if possible, even worse because it would seem to be more preventable.    Our military seems to have been invaded by not just lack of patriotism, but by deliberate hatred.    From a few!   Not our whole military!    I just find it so disappointing and maddening.   Our soldiers go into service with the knowledge that they may have to give their lives for the security of all Americans.    It's really maddening when they're put at the mercy of radicals or unstable people in their own groups.

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

Mentally-unstable man gets easily-available guns and goes on a shooting spree.

This is America. What's new about any of this, again?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Whereupon the scream once more goes up to rid the world of "assault" weapons.  That it was a shotgun doesn't matter

Nothing new, no.

Although a few days ago my local paper had an article hinting that gun control efforts are dying, but more recognition and work may go towards mental illness in an effort to control the violence.