Exactly How Is Our Legislative Process Supposed to Work?

1. My Esoteric profile image89
    My Esotericposted 3 years ago

I am so confused now that the Tea Party is turning the process on its head.  I thought it was supposed to work like this: !) The people elect representatives to the House and the Senate, 2) The House compromises between the majority and minority Parties and come up with legislation, 3) the Senate does the same, 4) the House and Senate then confer and work out a compromise bill and send it to the President.  The Conservatives have added a new twist: if they don't get what they want, they shut the government down until they get it.  To me that is un-American and cheating.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

No.  Now days the politician struts like a peacock down the runway: "Look at me!  Look how I can hurt the little people with no defense against my power!"  Each one gets a chance, then they all butt heads until they figure out what will get each the most money personally.  That's what becomes law.

Don't think the R's started it though - this is not the first time such repugnant, foolish blackmail has occurred.  My son commented yesterday this is the 17th time govt. has been shut down.  Of course, he's a little bitter - laid off in the middle of buying a new home.

1. My Esoteric profile image89
        My Esotericposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it is the 18th time; but it is only the second time it has hurt, or will hurt America. The other time was in 1995 when I was caught up in it.