Compassionate politics

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image52
    AnalogousMethodposted 10 years ago

Why is it that many who subscribe to "compassionate" politics are often so rude to people when discussing politics? Isn't it a bit ironic that somebody wants the government to take from one person in order to feed another, doesn't show respect to the people he disagrees with?

I'm not saying all bleeding-hearts are rude, or that non bleeding-hearts are all nice, but how can someone who cares so much about people not show respect?

1. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Say you lived in a world surrounded by suffering that hurt you deeply beyond your ability to fix and that every day you were confronted by this horror at every turn where even your greatest efforts are just a drop in an ocean knowing that millions of lives are at stake and you know how to save them but unable to do so for the obstinance, arrogance and ignorance of others...

Knowing that hundreds of people will die in Mexico this year after being deported.
      Knowing that 45 000 Americans die every single year from not being insured.
      Knowing that the drug war will cost thousands of lives every year.
      Knowing that there is no scientific doubt of the damage being done by global warming and the millions of lives it will affect.

Place yourself in that position (if you can) and see how long you stay patient.

1. profile image52
        AnalogousMethodposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your greatest efforts, which are largely spent browsing and posting on the internet? If it's so bad, get off the internet and help more people.

Oh, and thank you for proving that you don't understand the scientific process with your comment about global warming.

Edit: and again with the insulting, just have to throw that in there right? Why do you assume I don't care?

1. Josak profile image60

Sorry what were you saying about insulting? big_smile

If you were to look at my activity you would see I haven't been on hub pages for several months from a few days ago, as it happens I do charity stuff continuously, but as it stands I am in a foreign country between meetings stuck in a hotel so yeah..

I work from my computer so hubpages running at the same time for when there is  nothing to do between emails etc is pretty convenient.

1. profile image52

I have a pretty simple philosophy that involves showing the same respect to people that they show to others.

You could be writing hubs instead, making more money to help more people, instead of insulting my education and compassion.

1. Josak profile image60

I don't run an advertising thing from my hubpages, that has always struck me as strange to make money from giving an amateur opinion. I have a moral objection to forcing advertising on people anyhow.

1. profile image52

Ok, then do something else that is productive to make money or help people.

1. Josak profile image60

yeah I already explained I am in a foreign country waiting for a client.

1. profile image52

There are plenty of productive things you could do other than arguing on HP.

2. Josak profile image60

You obviously aren't in that same position (being as the fact as you presented this viewpoint as different in your own post) I think you are just being hypersensitive..

1. profile image52

What viewpoint did I present as different? My post about the ironic behavior of some?

1. Josak profile image60

"Why is it that many who subscribe to "compassionate" politics are often so rude to people when discussing politics?" heavily implies that you aren't one of those people.

I also know from other discussions that you are not.

SO obviously it's a different perspective you have to put yourself in. You need a thicker skin man, you take offense at everything including someone asking you to walk in different shoes apaprently.

1. profile image52

Yes, I'm not one of "those" people. I don't automatically start insulting people who disagree with me. Those are the people I was describing, which you should have been able to understand, considering that is what I wrote.

Secondly, do you not understand that compassion can be expressed in other ways than politics? I don't have to support forced redistribution of wealth to be compassionate.

I don't take offense, I just don't understand the need to insult at every turn. Don't worry, I promise you haven't caused any tears on my part.

You don't know from other discussions, you are simply reading your own bias.

1. Josak profile image60

Yeah I do understand compassion can be expressed differently... ineffectually. But yes I do that too.

1. profile image52

Well, at least you're consistent. It's amazing that you think you know so much about me.

Why don't you tell me how much I make and how much money and time I donate?

3. Josak profile image60

Oh and btw if you think that the empirical method means things can't be proven beyond present doubt then it's you who doesn't understand it. The empirical method holds that all things should be continuously exposed to testing not that they cannot be considered beyond doubt given the available data.

1. profile image52

I was commenting on your claim that global warming(AGW, I assume) is settled science, when ironically it is the greatest example in modern times of pseudo-science.

The empirical method doesn't have anything to do with proving anything. The only proof that belongs in science is the mathematical kind. It's partially an issue of semantics, and partially an issue of common misconceptions about science, largely driven by poor reporting by the media.

The difference between actual science and what the public hears is, well, night and day.

1. Josak profile image60

Yeah obviously you don't understand the empirical method.

As for proof obviously proof in the scientific field is not only mathematical, hell the Euclidean assumption makes almost all mathematics un-provable anyway.

But if you hold (incorrectly) that mathematics can form absolute proofs then there are quantum mathematical proofs of global warming using the photon to heat equation.

1. profile image52

Yeah obviously I do, but you assume that AGW is valid which would make me wrong.

If you really want, we can discuss that in another topic.

Why don't you tell me what you mean by a mathematical proof?

I would love to see you prove AGW with the photon to heat equation. So would the rest of the scientific community.

The empirical method proves nothing. You demonstrate perfectly the ignorance about true science that makes people believe garbage like AGW. Science isn't about proving anything. If you set out to prove something, you've already screwed up.

1. Josak profile image60

Actually the scientific method holds that you should always set out to prove or disprove a hypothesis though manipulation of variables.

A mathematical proof is simply an equation that demonstrates the validity of the claim by finding a absolute to link it to. Usually Euclidean geometry. Which we now know is not an absolute...

I can send you the photon to heat equation proof later. I have it written down somewhere. I will post it on this thread. The scientific community has already accepted global warming it's not awaiting any proofs.

1. profile image52

Lol. No. The scientific method holds that you should test falsifiable hypothesis and gather data. You absolutely should not set out to prove or disprove something, as that automatically injects bias.

Besides, you can't prove a hypothesis by testing, even if your predictions are met. All you can do is show that your predictions are met. You might find out later that your hypothesis was wrong, but you arrived at the "correct" answer anyway.

Does your equation factor in variation in earth-sun distance, solar output, magnetic field fluctuations, natural earth patterns, plant and plankton populations, and the entier hydrologic system? If so, then you have in your possession a better model than the IPCC uses.

Your responses perfectly explain why you agree with the AGW hypothesis.

2. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 10 years ago

I'm just going to add to Josak's point.

My sister has something called Spina Bifida.  It's a spinal disease.  She can walk, but she has a lot of health problems.  Currently, her kidneys are failing (For those who aren't aware, there are many stages to kidney failure, and she isn't to the worst parts yet).

To hear Tea Partiers and some conservatives say health care isn't a human right would sentence my sister to die if we didn't have insurance, and there were no charities or government programs to cover the costs.  (Right now, she is insured).

I've also seen my dad treated very poorly throughout his entire working life.  The corporations he's worked for have no respect for him as a human being, forcing him to work erratic hours and not taking into consideration he is getting older, in addition to passing him up when higher positions open.  He is the most hard-working man I know.  Pathetic really.

But you don't need anyone else to tell you this.  Just imagine a member of your own family starving to death, because the CEO of Exxon wants his absurd salary to be even more absurd.  It just doesn't strike me as moral to defend such an arrangement.

One more point.  I also have a gay brother.  I've read a lot about homosexuality, and there's no compelling evidence to show it is immoral in any way, or unnatural, or some sort of gateway to bestiality or pedophilia.  Opposition is just plain bigotry.  I've imagined what would happen to my brother if he lived in an even less tolerant society than the United States.  Would he have killed himself?  Gotten in with the wrong crowd?  I don't know, but the fact that there are a sizable number of people that are still opposed to homosexuality continually upsets me.

So, because of the seeming (and I emphasize seeming, because I don't believe most conservatives or libertarians really are like this) callous disregard for the well-being of others, this leads some liberals to be rather sarcastic and sanctimonious when talking to conservatives, the way a person would be when Truman ordered the atomic bombs to be dropped on Japan, and then expected to be taken seriously as a moral agent.

3. innersmiff profile image64
    innersmiffposted 10 years ago

I think it's useful to take the view that most of us are just mere mortals trying to make our way in the world and thinking of ways to make it better. If you don't believe that the person you are arguing with is actually evil and doesn't want to see humanity get better, then there is no reason at all to use aggressive tactics.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)