Is America better off or worse off in the FIVE YEARS under the

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8630465.jpg
    Obama administration?  Why?  Why not?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great picture.
      A. Time will tell.
      Thats the truly glorious thing!

2. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess it depends what you measure it by. Could we have gone into a great depression as in the 30's is a good start. We seem to be adjusting to the inflation (unreported) and just paying more for our groceries, gas and the like. How many people are unemployed either by whatever they lack be it training, skills or just giving up? Could McCain or Romney have done a better job? We will never know. We are out of one war and the other is trying to end and it will keep going until Karzai figures out how to extract the last amount of money for his stash so we will have to wait and see. We are settling into the new normal as the haves and have-not's count their blessings in their prospective roles. The whole thing is a mess but what else is new?

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

In all technicality, we are better off than we were in 2008...

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would agree with that.  Whether or not that can be attributed to Obama, or his administration/congress, is debatable.

He spent trillions we did not have, buying our way out of trouble - was it necessary or helpful in ending the recession?  If it was, were there better methods?  I can't answer either one.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
        Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'd say the answer to both questions is 'yes.' Yes, the various stimulus packages and bailouts did help to keep us afloat and kept the recession from being as horrifying as it could have been, and yes, there most certainly could have been better ways to go about it; one example would be gutting the currently outrageous military spending and using that money to instead work on fixing our ailing infrastructure, which would require a lot of workers, which means more jobs, which would lead to more money to go into the pockets of workers and, inevitably, back into the economy, which is always a good thing to help stave off a recession.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Umm.  You're forgetting that gutting military spending will put thousands/millions out of work.  Either the soldiers that will have to find new jobs or the workers that were building the new planes, ships and guns.

However you look at it, cutting the military is taking money away from someone, somewhere.  Money which, just as you say, was needed to help stave off a worse recession.  The net affect of cutting military spending is likely to be zero as far as helping the recession.

Now the infrastructure I would agree with 100%.  The country is falling down all around us and desperately needs an influx of money that just isn't forthcoming.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

It depends on who you think are the "important" people in the US.  Some are better of, some worse, many like myself basically the same.

1. rhamson profile image72

My lot turned worse as my business has struggled to stay afloat in this economy. Do I blame Obama? How can you pick one reason for the downturn when left with so many problems with congress and their lack of addressing the issues? I am pleased that you have weathered the downturn well and I hope your good fortune continues.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Yes I was thinking specifically about regime-related things.  Like if you are gay in the military or wanting to marry, there have been wins that would probably not have occurred under a Republican president.

True, very true.

5. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

Better? In what way?

6. maxoxam41 profile image63
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

How can you ever propose "better off"as a possible alternative? We are moving our military bases everywhere possible in the world. Our government still borrows from the FED enslaving us. All the industrial complexes (not only the military one) are thriving...etc.
    Now at least, we know that both parties work for the same ideology capitalism. The new idea that came from the mouths of our leaders is the new world order conglobing the world in feudalism. The West plunged in a pseudo-democracy and the East in Radical Islam. It means one way of thinking, a controlled one. Why does the US prefer Radical Muslim at the heads of Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan, Syria... If not to control people. Afghanistan was the perfect example. Unique thought. Unique currency. Europe wants to get out of the Euro but we are still pushing the agenda, WHY?

Since we DON'T decide anymore (if we ever did), why to vote? What will happen to our polyarchy if the number of abstention in an election is superior to the scores made by the main candidates? Will the people win?

The lack of caring for the governing of this country is just beginning t rear its' ugly head. People who refuse to examine and question those who make huge decisions are going to reap the rewards of their ignorance. Trading away the jobs and beating the war drum has been a quick way to increase manys wealth. In the process we are blinded by the short term economics and military dominance and find out what we have lost when its too late. The sheeple only busy themselves with the business of their microcosmic world while the wolfs of society take a bigger bite out of those that sleep in their own ignorance.

7. Ewent profile image69
    Ewentposted 10 years ago

The definition of "better" is relative to most individual Americans' points of view. If you ask the men and women who board buses every day for Wall Street if things are better off today than in September 2008 when they were terrorized by the Financial Meltdown, they'd say "100% better off."

Conversely, if you ask the 6 million who have been unemployed since the first 10,000 employees lost jobs in a single day in 2008 to the bankrupt Shearson Lehman, they'd tell you it's worse.

Personally, I never judge better or worse as a total picture. There are too many devils in the details. I choose to go "placidly amid the crowds" in my own little endeavors seeking accomplishment and contentment.

What I do see around me are too many Glum Goth Americans unable to stiffen their spines to the realities that if they want to achieve, they have to work at it as hard as they can. All human beings are survivors because the alternative, death, is not a "better" solution.

The other reality today I find disconcerting is the acceptance of pseudo power in all the wrong decision making hands. If you live and breathe, you make your own decisions contrary to the commands of the great autocratic wall of obstructionism. The only obstacles in our way are also accompanied by stalwart, resolute options. If you know your options at all times, you know no one but you can move forward, onward and upward. Just my opinion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)