POLL TIME

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (25 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8506221.jpg
    Which American President do YOU consider to be the worse of the two evils in terms of socioeconomic policies and reformations in addition to the current general state of the country, George W. Bush or Barack Obama?  Why?  Why not?

1. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have to ask. Why does it matter? We had what we had with "W". And as a result we have what we have with Obama. The important thing is what's next? Are the republicans going to offer something new or are they going to go back to the same old rhetoric that has lost them two elections in a row? Better yet are the democrats going to progress beyond selling the same old song and dance that has not worked in hopes that we will forget that it hasn't? I guess it depends as always upon the sheeple to sleep or decide to wake up and become a responsible voter practitioner.

2. profile image0
      Lybrahposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Bush was worse.  Clinton eliminated the national debt and then Bush plunged us back into debt again with the war on terrorism.

2. junko profile image69
    junkoposted 10 years ago

George W. Bush is the worse of the two. Neither is evil. If W. didn't fail so bad as President, Barack wouldn't have had to save the economy and state of the country inspite of obstruction his first term and the first year of his second term. If Obama was treated like he was The Commander and Chief and given the respect of The Office, the employment problem would have been solved his first term.

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Junko, you are a genius, that is a big 10-4 in my opinion!!

2. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What about the first half of his first term, could he have solved the employment problem then - when he/his party had legislative control? Was his own party obstructing him then?

And which of his jobs plans, (that would have solved the employment problem in his first term), were obstructed to the point of impotence in the second half of his first term?

ps. I agree, we should give respect to the office - but its occupant, (any of them), must earn it.

GA

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!

1. junko profile image69
          junkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hogwash, as expected. Thats my answer to the question. You don't have to agree with me nor I with you. You have an answer,  I'd like to read it, I doubt if your answer would surprise me because of the question. My answer is the truth,the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, no Hogwash.

1. Shanna11 profile image75
            Shanna11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

"If Obama was treated like he was The Commander and Chief and given the respect of The Office, the employment problem would have been solved his first term."

That is not verifiable fact at all. That's just speculation. Sure, there might be some estimation and reasoning in there, but it's not a fact, and by extension of that, it's not truth.

1. junko profile image69

When a person swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help them God. they tell the truth as they know it. There is one truth and many lies and hogwash. My truth is my honest testimony and no hogwash or attempts to lie or deceive. If I lie its unintentional. What I wrote is the truth and nothing but the truth unless you can show or prove I lied. Verifiable facts is what happened. The truth can be what could happen or could have happened.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Seems to me you said the most important thing when you added "as they know it". 

You may very well be telling the truth "as you known it" but that does not make it truth at all.  Just your opinion.

2. Shanna11 profile image75
                Shanna11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What.....? That is not a valid definition of truth, or a logical argument for labeling speculation as truth. Speculation is not reality- those events  have not occurred (even if the potential for them to occur was there at one point, they NEVER occurred and became reality--EVER) and by definition, truth is "the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality."

It doesn't matter what good intentions you had, or that you didn't wish to deceive. Just because what you're saying brushes the limits of your knowledge doesn't make it true.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

If I may assume your "hogwash" response to GMWILLIAMS was a second-hand reply to my post, then...

First to help you avoid an incorrect assumption, Bush was/is not involved in my response.

So...

I know it is a very tired reply; "Complete control first two years, etc..." and that is why I posed the questions instead of just repeating it.

But does that make the circumstances less true? Pres. Obama/Democrats did control the legislature for two years. And you did opine that without Republican obstructionism he could have solved the employment problem in his first term. So, what, in your opinion, happened? Were the employment solutions queued up waiting their turn? Or were the first two years dedicated to other efforts, ie. health care reform?

Of course I disagree with you, but I did not just say you are wrong and I am right - I asked you to expound on your declarations.

You claim to know the truth and the whole truth - which ones? Yes, he has had an obstructionist House since 2010, but what about before 2010?

I seem to recall the most strident Republican obstructionism, (yes, it was real), was related to Obamacare, so I asked what jobs programs you know of that were obstructed - and your reply was simply, "Hogwash, I know the truth?"

I will not just repeat the Republican talking points because I am not a Republican, but I also will not swallow the Democrat "obstructionist" excuse mantra just because they did not get the job done.

A leader doesn't just lead in easy times - anyone can do that. A leader finds a way to lead in difficult times too - to get the job done. Has your leader done that? Or did your leader and the Democrats spend four years blaming Bush for their perceived lack of progress?

It is true that Pres. Obama inherited a full plate of problems, probably more than most recent presidents. But for you to claim he could have solved the employment problems if only everyone would just let him..., is just screaming for some sort of validation - which is why I asked the questions I did.

And your reply, "Hogwash, I know the truth..." is far less than I expected. I never attempted or expected to change your mind - I just challenged you to back-up such an emotional but unsubstantiated claim.

If you are stuck for a non-hogwash reply, allow me to recommend one of those famous 20-minute Google searches, which I am sure will help you find the facts you are looking for.

Maybe an "Obama jobs plan" search string? Or, "Republicans block Obama jobs programs"

Good luck.
            GA

1. junko profile image69

Anderson: The first two years of the Obama Presidency was used to get some stimulas money to prop- up the economy after the big Wall Street giveaway by the Bush Presidency. He also pushed to pass healthcare and some financial regulations and consumer protections. He was able to save the US auto industry with loans with interest, not a giveaway as was given Wall Street after they defrauded the US government and American people. Democrat nor Republicann ever in American history voted in lock-step all most 100% against an American President before the 2010 midterm elections and the arrival of The TEAPARTY. President Obama had to deal with Blue and Yellow Dog Democrats (Undercover Dixiecrats) and Republicans in the House before the Teaparty came to rule the House. You assume right Anderson Hogwash was a reply to your post. My answer isn't hogwash, its the truth as I and you know it,but you would never speak or write this truth. You speak and talk hogwash to confuse those who don't know the truth. I know you know what I know so I won't waste time telling you the truth and nothing but the truth. P.S. The WPA ,Government Jobs was used bring the nation out of the Great Depression. Hogwash was used to freeze Goverment hiring. The use of Austerity and the fear of taxes was used to drive up unempolyment during this Greay Recession. You know what I say is true. Enough Hogwash. Thats all I got to say about that.

1. profile image56
                Education Answerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In other words, he didn't prioritize job creation in his first two years as president.  Job creation should have been his biggest priority at the time but it wasn't; he spent his political capital on Obamacare.

2. profile image56

Well said.

1. junko profile image69

Education Answer, I don't need you to put words in my answer. I can't and won't argue with your or anymore Republican-teaparty hogwash. Because President Obama did what he could do in a crissis that threaten to wreck the US economy. As The President did manage to stop the bleeding and turn lemons into lemonade it took both hand in feet. All that time the country was losing hundreds of thousands of jobs a months. After the 2010 mid-term The Speaker of the House while smiling publicly spouted the hogwash at The President "Wheres the Jobs". The hogwash was that he was Jesus but, he wasn't and couldn't do all thing at the same time. Now YOU say his priority should have been job creation instead of Nation building. That hogwash don't make sense, fighting to unfreeze Federal hiring and creating a WPA type job program as the economy implodes would be a stupid move at that time and space. Its a good idea now but, the hogwash is that the cost of a job program would have to be offset by cuts in Obamacare or social programs. Education Answer you high five yourself here for the hogwash you spouted. Thats some deep do do and shows your inability understand or admit what I say about the truth. You should stand down and let Anderson and I dialog. Thank you in advance

1. GA Anderson profile image88

Oh my! I am not sure it is safe to jump in between you and EA, but it only seems fair that since I disagreed with your original post, (and still do), I should also give you a nod when there are points we appear to agree on.

Such as Pres. Obama's first priority being to stop the implosion, (as you put it), of our economy.
            I do believe jobs programs should have been secondary to dealing with the financial collapse - regardless of who was at fault for it.

But I think they should have been next in line, before healthcare reform. I think the Democrats let the American people down by putting the politics of passing a Democrat dream. (national healthcare), while they had the power and control of the Presidency and the legislature to get it done - when they could have used that same power and control to initiate the type of jobs programs that you think would have solved the problem in his first term.

Bluntly stated, I think that after stopping the lethal economic bleeding, (and no, I do not agree with how he did it), the President and his party decided politics, (healthcare reform),  were more important than the immediate needs of his nation's citizens.

As for the Speaker, and others, asking where the jobs were - I think they were right. Jobs should have been his highest priority after the financial collapse. But it wasn't, and that is apparently a truth you don't believe.

ps. I also do not believe the Federal hiring freeze was a bad thing. Nor do I think a WPA-type jobs program would have been a good thing. Both would have been just more short-term government fixes that our economy could not afford. The jobs solutions must be private sector efforts that function within our economy, not as an external add-on.

GA

2. profile image56

Wow.  Why do you hold so much animosity towards people who disagree?  Seriously, you won't talk to people who have diverging views?  Why are you in a political forum then?

I am not a member of the Tea Party.

President Obama spent his political capital on Obamacare.  President Obama never has made jobs a priority.

Best wishes.

1. junko profile image69

Education Answer: I have no animosity toward you,what so ever. However I don't have patience with parroting people that talk at me and not to me. I heard your post about political capital on Fox News many time Your Handle makes me think about ALEC and the closing of public school nationwide and the opening of charter schools with public school funding. I don't think that is a good education answer.  What do you think?

1. profile image56

You heard my post about political capital?  This isn't a Fox News talking point; many people believe that President Obama spent his political capital on Obamacare.  Then, you mention something about closing public schools nationwide.  Do you know that I work at a public school?  I'm baffled by what you are saying, and frankly, I get most of my news from the Internet. 

Again, best wishes.

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

This thread is a drinking game, isn't it?  big_smile

You guys are clever.  We each take a drink every time someone says "hogwash!"

Genius.
    wink

4. junko profile image69
    junkoposted 10 years ago

Thanks for the honorable nod my fellow American. The President's second most important move is debateable. However,  in America we have a Constitutional right to be wrong. I don't believe that the emergency brakes on government tax revenue, spending, and hiring should have been pulled during the great recession. Many of those who supported Austerity in our government also supported American intervention in problems in the middle and far east. I think its time to spend money on rebuilding our nation and not blowing up and rebuilding other nations. I could be wrong but I also have a right to be wrong The House of Representives control the money and the President can't and couldn't create jobs with a do nothing Congress. With all do respect...by your leave . Later

1. GA Anderson profile image88

OK, what did you do with the real Junko that I first responded to?

I am suspicious because this is another perspective that I agree with. (except for the government hiring point)

I also think the push for slashing government spending during the financial crisis was wrong, and would have made things much worse instead of helping. But, after the initial struggles and the beginnings of progress - it was time to curb government spending - drastically, but slowly. This did not happen.

That I do not believe tax cuts were the answer does not mean that I think tax increases were.

To bring Middle and Far East intervention into the topic is like talking apples and oranges. Different reasons and different priorities.

As for the House controlling the purse, you are correct. But other presidents have dealt successfully with cantankerous House opposition - so why couldn't Pres. Obama? Could it be a leadership issue? A "my way or the highway" attitude issue? Could he, (Obama), have have used a play or two from Clinton's playbook? (I do!) Or do you solely assign to the Tea Party the power to stop the President?

ps. I looked everywhere, but darned if I could find that [i]Constitutional right to be wrong. Was it before or after the Right to Free Speech?

I am grateful this has turned into an enjoyable conversation, thanks.

GA

1. junko profile image69

Anderson: This is he, the real junko. Our dialog train went off the track with my second hand reply to your post. Because I felt GMWilliams question was devisive and an appeal and opportunity for Republican-teaparty haters to say that Bush and Obama are both failed Presidents. GM lit the match and stood back to see if the fire would be friendly. I call your post hogwash because I heard your post in those and other words on Fox News. GM's response to my post was intentionally vague numbers. It became ovious through dialog that you weren't a Republican- teaparty Obama hater. Your independence showed in the fact that you could publicly agree with me on any points and disagree without being disagreeable. The facts is there are no !00% pure Republicans, Democrats, or independents. There are no 100% liberals or conservatives. We are Americans and have all the personality traits in the American experience. You and I are alot alike but look very different. We agree more than we know and the more we talk and listen the more we know we know. The problem on Capitol Hill is too little talking and too little listening.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)