jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Former Secretary of Defense Bill Gates blasts Obama on Afghanistan

1. Levellandmike profile image83
    Levellandmikeposted 2 years ago

Former SecDef Bill Gates, on Obama's Afghanistan policies:
    "[The President] doesn't believe in his own strategy, and doesn't believe the war to be his. For him, it's all about getting out."
    So, I catch "Fox and Friends" this morning & the above statement & whether or not it's okay for him (Gates) to criticize a sitting President  is the hot topic.
    My thoughts on the subject: IF Gates were still SecDef, then certainly NOT publicly. In a more private setting, i.e.: the office, during cabinet meetings, to the man's face and in a professional manner, then by all means let him have it.
    BUT, Bill Gates is no longer SecDef. That makes him a private citizen with every right to speak his mind, and do so publicly.
    So, I'm a bit surprised to hear people say he has no right to criticize the President.
    Your thoughts?

1. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The only thing I caught in your statement that matters to me is "For him, it's all about getting out." I just want to know when and where I can assist him in making this a reality.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image85
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

He's now a private citizen.  He has the right to use his free speech as he so choses.  For all the hype, I don't think he's said much I didn't already know.  The president ran on ending the wars.  Why should we be surprised that was how he made his decisions once elected?

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I am sure his lawyers have kept him on the right side of the law.  They only thing he could not do is breach anything that is under a confidentially agreement.

From the quotes so far I see nothing very surprising given their relative jobs and affiliations.