jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Have humans lost the most fundamental ability to survive?

1. Hui (蕙) profile image63
    Hui (蕙)posted 3 years ago

As many people know, thousands of customers in eastern maritime provinces of Canada had recently lost power because of the worst weather ever, and some customers had even stuck in dark and cold for more than one week, such as in Toronto region. This is normal on some level, because we live on Earth. But the thing I wonder is that groceries had gone bad since refrigerators did not work, then government sent out $100-gift cards to customers to make up their damages. How could that happen since the air temperature was much lower than that in refrigerator? Were people able to take groceries outside, put them in a container, at the window, in the wind, in the snow... ? I guess our remote ancestors never had power!!!

1. A Thousand Words profile image81
      A Thousand Wordsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The simplest answer I can give is that we adapt to our surroundings. If necessary, we could learn to hunt, fish, make shelter with limited resources, etc. But because we live in a society where that isn't necessary, we aren't really in touch with that side. We all have the potential to be able to more or less, but we don't have the need. Yet.

Hui (蕙)posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good, basically agree. Since modern cities have expanded into homes of wild lives, humans do not need to worry and care any more about anything of which they've been deprived.

2. Genna East profile image87
      Genna Eastposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You have people who live in multiple floor apartment complexes without a balcony where storing food outside becomes next to impossible.  Actually, health officials recommend not putting food outside in the cold since the sun can warm the food to unsafe and uneven temps.  Putting ice and snow in a cooler is usually suggested.

But you bring up a good point.  We have become so disassociated from our life support systems; we look to others to provide help to us when emergency conditions exist.

Maybe because this kind of thing never happened to me, so I did not quite understand. Now, I see, but is preservative film helpful? With about minus 30 degree temperature, got to be somewhere without sunlight. Hanging up things outside window looks ugly, but it was at abnormal time. I think the answer lies in humans today all feel selves too graceful to use those old-fashioned methods.

1. Genna East profile image87
          Genna Eastposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree, Hui.  When we lived out in the boonies in SE Mass., every time it snowed heavily, we lost power for several days.  We had a fireplace, and would use this for heat (like camping out), and also cooked with it.  We now live in the suburbs and have a gas stove (I’d never have electric) and smaller portable units for emergencies.  But others don’t have fireplaces or gas stoves and rely on public services to provide help.   I shudder to think what would happen if we faced a massive crisis…chaos would ensue and many would be hurt.

2. Mike Dale profile image78
    Mike Daleposted 3 years ago

In short yes, people are not addapted mentally nor have the knowledge to survive in extreme conditions without some kind of aid from "authorities". Humanity in first world nations are so dependent on technology and convenience, and then we get advice from people we're supposed to trust, such as not putting food outside when it's 30 below because the sun might warm it too much ::eyeroll::.

Sun warming up! Totally right. But humans have still survived down from time with 'sun warming up' but without power to nowadays, which is what I meant by "the most fundamental..." ::eyeroll::

working