jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

BLACK PANTHERS: Heroes or Villains?

1. jeserem profile image87
    jeseremposted 2 years ago

What really did the Black Panther movement contribute to freedom as we know it today. Was the Black Panther movement driven by real principles or hatred?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

While it has evolved from what it was, the original group was about hatred and power for a few.  Nothing more.

2. WiccanSage profile image97
    WiccanSageposted 2 years ago

I think both, as most rebel groups are. I think most members were simply frustrated and angry, and had genuine cause to be, and their reasons for wanting to take action were sound. Unfortunately when people feel like that, it paves the way for those who crave power and attention to take the helm and steer them in the wrong direction.

3. Kiss andTales profile image28
    Kiss andTalesposted 2 years ago

I learned two wrongs never equal to right, hatred in any race never ads up to love. And the bible says God is love. So black or white in Gods eyes man is not in his image when they practice hatred. But these groups are shortly lived.

4. Scott P Williams profile image84
    Scott P Williamsposted 2 years ago

I read up on the Black Panthers briefly, years ago. I learned that they had many chapters across the nation but that only one or two of them was responsible for all the press coverage that most people heard about. I also learned that many of the chapters that never made the news were actually having success teaching people how to survive without Government assistance. The more successful they became the faster our Govt wanted to shut them down and the rest is history. It's hard to believe but if you research COINTELPRO it may be easier to understand and believe. They were doing the same to MLK but MLK didn't believe in fighting fire with fire.

As Kiss and Tales said, two wrongs don't make a right.

1. Credence2 profile image85
      Credence2posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Scott, that is the best explanation of an identify for the Black Panthers that I have seen so far. After all, at the time the reality for the 'system' was not black success but oppression. So, those, (BPP) and some of the Muslim groups that actually had working models as to how to uplift the black community during a time of great repression, must themselves be suppressed and put down hard. .  Fair and Balanced!