Robert Gates, the alternative view. (what next war?)

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Silverspeeder profile image61
    Silverspeederposted 10 years ago

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/inte … 4011682647

At every step of the way we will be right by your side, our government has forbid us from thinking for ourselves. Therefor us Britain's will still continue to look for the WMD even though they didn't exist and we will be right by your side in the bullsh*t war on terror.

1. tsadjatko profile image67
      tsadjatkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't you "Britains" call yourselves Brits?

"The Daily Mash is a satirical website which publishes spoof articles, i.e. it is all made-up and is not intended, in any way whatsoever, to be taken as factual. Glad we’ve got that sorted." http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/about

So what is your point silver?

Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know its satirical I would be surprised if someone thought it wasn't.

My point is all politicians are full of crap.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't know about that - some US idiot made a motion to change pi to exactly 3.  He later said it is a talking point or some such, but never really convinced me that's why he made the motion.  Always thought he was just stupid.

2. tsadjatko profile image67

And you think that an article that is made-up and is not intended, in any way whatsoever, to be taken as factual is the best way to make that point? I'm not trying to be critical, just trying to understand ...and I never met a "Brit" who called himself a Britain, is that common?

It doesn't have to be a factual it's satirical and shows the mood of people who think most (if not all) politicians talk absolute crap.
            Gates has spouted crap about us Brits (is that better) and I suppose the yanks believe it ( are all Americans yanks then).
            And do you think Afghanistan will be the last war the Americans will call for uninimity with its alies?
            It's nice to know that the Americans think we are a spent force, maybe they will leave us out of their next bullsh*t war.

But Gates isn't even a politician - he was the defense secretary and all he did was state the obvious which even the British Gen. Nicholas Houghton, chief of the defense staff, said that loss of manpower put Britain in danger of being left with “exquisite” equipment without the personnel to operate it. It sounds to me like your contempt for politicians is really contempt for our military without which you'd be speaking German.

No no I am quite sure its politicians I have contempt for, isn't the defence secretary a political position then?
                Generals are never happy with the amount of men under their command, do you really think if we were under attack we couldn't find someone to pull the trigger?

My grandfather could speak fluent German as his mother was a German, he fought against the Germans in WW2.
                If you have ever been to a School in Birmingham, like the one in Small Heath you will know that English is not the only language we speak in this county, you don't have to use an army to invade a country.

I don't blame you for holding politicians in contempt, I do too. However politicians are elected officials, and Generals have nothing to do with the political process (unless they run for office). However the military here is under command of the Commander in Chief who being a civilian is for sure a politician. I just don't think it's fair if your beef is with politicians to be throwing Gates under the bus. There are plenty of politicians to target - have at it. And my comment about you speaking German has nothing to do with the language the implication being that Hitler would not have been stopped and you would be part of his empire, not that anyone in England doesn't speak German.

2. rhamson profile image72
              rhamsonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's hard to stay out of the wars when the money is so good to the contractors who lobby for their contracts. There is an old saying that if you grew a third arm we would have a whole new industry to accommodate it. Such is the business of war. Eisenhower warned the world when he stepped down to beware of the military industrial complex as it will run the government and cost us our country.

2. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

Why would a country limit its military? Time of peace, the development of a private army (NATO) or the development of by proxy wars. Have you noticed that not only did the US diminish its military budget but also France. Are their governments trying to handicap the only branch of a government that disposes of the military training and weaponry to oppose its tyranny?
    Why would we stop war if it means increasing profits? What would Carlyle, Boeing, Lockheed... become without its "bread winning"?

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

To save money better used for other purposes, that is why.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)