jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (29 posts)

Politics

1. harisnefo profile image83
    harisnefoposted 2 years ago

Why is western countries condemning Nigerian ban on gay marriage?

1. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I think what you could say is that it is not considered a legal issue but a moral one and should not be regulated by the government. If it is a legal issue among African countries I would say it is based on a concept that Aids is a "gay disease" and gay activity should be quelled at all costs. I think it is more prevalent among drug addicts here in the US so I don't know if banning gay marriage is a viable option to stop Aids in Africa. That is if this is the reason.

harisnefoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Rhamson thank you for your contribution. Ban on gay marriage in Nigeria has no bearing with AIDS and its control, it is all about religion, moral and African culture. Talking about government and politics, in my view, government has a right to protect its citizens and their culture from any influence they considered bad as in the case of gay marriage.

If that is the case and you feel the government has a moral obligation to "protect" their citizenry "from" gay marriage then I guess you are right. Some in the west feel that the "live and let live" philosophy has more of an equal representation of who can live their lives as they please. To outlaw how one expresses their feelings is a risky business and one that if allowed to get in the wrong hands can have catastrophic consequences to families and society.

The fact is that most people lack control over the influence of western culture and it is always devastating when it escalates. Take indecent dressing as an example, at initial stage we saw nothing bad in it but today everybody is crying about it here in Nigeria. What our ladies wear to church and work thesedays is worst than what an artist wears on stage. Western countries have better control over all these because its their culture and they know how to manage it. But here, it will be worst than you think, and soon it becomes a fashion and others that cannot join them will face stigmatization.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
              psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Women wear short skirts.  Who cares.  That is between them and their God.

When you speak to yours, ask what he thinks about you stealing the photographs taken by vgstudio, Tomasz Trojanowski  and Andresr for use on your hub.

2. rhamson profile image76

Do you have a competent way of distinguishing those influential practices that harm others in a secular way? If women wish to wear suggestive western fashions is there a law restricting this in Nigeria? How do we in the west handle such a thing better than Nigeria? Is stigmatization a lawful response or is it a societal response? Who is being protected? If women are in danger is it a matter of removing them from the problem or removing the perpetrator? There are a lot of questions as you can see and judgment has to come from an impartial entity for it to be fair. Who would be the arbitrator in your scenario?

2. 60
        retief2000posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Aren't all laws rooted in moral ideas?  Isn't Nigeria free to determine its own course as a society?  Senegalese objected to Obama's position on same sex marriage and that was met with silence here.

I hate to use words like all when it comes to the human condition. I would say many laws are rooted in morality but as with any society some are for many other reasons whether it be financially or politically motivated. As with our society in the US there is a LGBT segment that finds the law in your country less than fair and has political clout to voice their concerns. It may impact what and how much aid the US will give as a result. If you want the money I guess you will have a moral decision to make there. The question is whose morals are for sale? Ours, for withholding aid to those who need it the most or yours for compromising your beliefs to get the aid.

1. 60

Food for thought, thank you.

2. Silverspeeder profile image60
            Silverspeederposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The US will give aid to Nigeria as long as it has Oil. Cynical I know but an element of truth I fear. The US and for the most all western countries give aid to countries they get something from in return.
            The real question is will the sway of the public influence the government into doing anything  (except the usual lip service) about it. How much meddling should one government do into another governments decisions? And how much support does the Nigerian government receive from its own citizens.

The real question is who is getting the aid? Is it the starving and sick or is it lining the pockets of greedy businessmen and politicians. You don't sound cynical at all. We have always had our business sense out front even though it is hidden with a lot of political double speak. What is funny is that there seems to be a moral arrogance to our rhetoric lately and out the other sides of our mouth comes the truth to those who can profit us.

1. 60

There is a war raging in Nigeria right now as Muslims are ethnically cleansing Christians all over Africa ( hell the world) that is far more troubling when petroleum makes Western governments suicidal in the face of radical Islam.

2. junkseller profile image90
      junksellerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It is a violation of human rights. Simple as that. And it isn't just a ban, it is a criminalization (up to 14 years for a married couple). Nor is it just against marriage, it is also against association, and of course sex has already been illegal. Overall it is just a completely barbaric attitude towards one's fellow human beings.

3. psycheskinner profile image82

Because imprisoning people for who they love or are attracted to, and any person who does not shun them, is inhumane and counter to basic human rights including freedom of speech and freedom of association.

In terms of public health, to decrease spread of HIV all pairings other than lesbian should be banned.  It is the safest sex other than abstinence.  If that seems unreasonable to you as, I presume, straight man, consider that it seems just as irrational to a gay man or woman to ban gay sex.

2. harisnefo profile image83

Gay marriage and its association is actually a bondage and not a freedom so the ban has brought a relief and freedom for those in that bondage.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image62
      EncephaloiDeadposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Who exactly is in bondage?

1. psycheskinner profile image82

If that is the case we should ban all marriage.  Because marriage is marriage.

I thought he was talking about gays who are married are in bondage, but that just didn't make any sense at all. Perhaps, he is referring to himself and others like him who despise gay marriage being in bondage as a result?

2. junkseller profile image90
      junksellerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

People have been trying to justify their poor treatment of others since the beginning of time. For example, in this country, we once enslaved black people. And there were all sorts of justifications for it, such as that black people are inferior, the Bible says it is alright, or that they were actually better off. After all, over in Africa, they were just running around in loin clothes throwing spears at each other and worshiping pagan gods like animals.

Hopefully you can recognize how stupid those justifications sound. If so, that is good, now look in the mirror, because you sound just as stupid. That homosexual you are talking about is a human being, you can either treat them as one, or club them in the head like a barbarian because of an imaginary belief that they are inferior or broken.

If you really want to be a barbarian, go ahead, but don't complain when others treat you as one. No Western nation is going to take your country very seriously as long as they endorse such gross violations of human rights, so I am not really sure why you are asking the question. If you think you will find acceptance, you won't.

3. rhamson profile image76

Please explain?

3. harisnefo profile image83

Marriage is an institution created by God between man and woman not otherwise.

Then, let God deal with gays when they marry, that has nothing to do with you or anyone else.

Is there somewhere that says God is commanding you to imprison gays if they get married?

2. EncephaloiDead profile image62

“If someone is gay and seeks the Lord with good will, who am I to judge?”

- Pope Francis - “Person of the Year” winner from The Advocate gay magazine.

3. psycheskinner profile image82

No thoughts about that photo theft on your hub?  Or does the Bible not apply to you?

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

Marriage predates the birth of Christ and indeed the beginnings of monotheism.

So Christians can define Christian marriage any way they like--but the rest of us are not obliged to conform to that definition.

If it is a free world as some has argued here, why are we not allowed to kill ourselves and leave the Judgement for God?

2. 60

The societal practice of marriage is prehistoric in origin and there is no evidence of durable and socially acceptable same sex "marriage" - also long before Christianity.

5. maxoxam41 profile image79
    maxoxam41posted 2 years ago

It is a good question since in their own countries they are as intolerant!

working