jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

God bless her soul.

1. 0
    Beth37posted 2 years ago

The oldest known survivor of the Holocaust, Alice Herz-Sommer, died yesterday at 110.

"I think I am in my last days but it does not really matter because I have had such a beautiful life."

“Young people take everything for granted, whereas we, the elderly, understand nature, “ Herz-Sommer told Haaretz in an interview at age 106. “What I have learned, at my advanced age, is to be grateful that we have a nice life. There is electricity, cars, telegraph, telephone, Internet. We also have hot water all day long. We live like kings. I even got used to the bad weather in London,” she said.

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jew … m-1.575973

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Can you imagine the changes she has seen?  Born before the Model T car, for Pete's sake!  We even have the telegraph and hot water all day long.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

God bless this woman.  She is one beautiful human being.  She survived the worst of hells.  Such people should forever be revered and honored.  NEVER FORGET.  NEVER FORGET.

3. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 2 years ago in reply to this

aleha hashalom (עליה השלום)

2. Jodah profile image87
    Jodahposted 2 years ago

Wow 110, and she was so wise. I guess having lived through the horror of the holocaust you would be greatful for everything in life. We'd do well to be as appreciative as Alice. May she rest in peace.

3. amiebutchko profile image93
    amiebutchkoposted 2 years ago

Wow, Beth.  So amazing!  I can't imagine living through that much of our history.  It is true that we, and our children, do not appreciate how easy we have it with all the modern convenience.  We could all use a little gratitude...!

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Kind of puts a different perspective on being poor today, doesn't it?  That lady likely grew up with candles, a town crier and no running water.  Outhouse in the back 40, feet for travel and with 5 or 6 kids sleeping together in the loft.

How quickly we forget.  My great grandmother was the first caucasian woman, and the second couple, to enter little valley not far from where I live now and the stories from her childhood are simply amazing.  A three day wagon ride to the cannery, when I drive it in an hour.  Digging miles of irrigation ditch by hand while maintaining a constant grade.  Shooting salmon - it was a staple then, not a luxury.  Week long camping trips in the wagon to pick berries - another staple.  She was ecstatic when she got her first ever wooden floor, after being there for a decade.   Grandma was crippled, and a wondrous day when the family got a horse; she could get to the school now!

We've forgotten what hardship really means.

1. amiebutchko profile image93
        amiebutchkoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Very true....!

4. MichelleJDevine profile image60
    MichelleJDevineposted 2 years ago

She has such a beautiful smile in this picture.

5. grand old lady profile image88
    grand old ladyposted 2 years ago

I love this woman. May she rest in peace, even as her life has enriched us and made the world a better place.

6. 0
    Beth37posted 2 years ago

Which is more impressive? That she lived to be 110 and yet was still so lively and positive? Or that she survived the holocaust as a person with a joyful outlook? Or maybe that she was THE LAST survivor? That part really gets me. There will no longer be a soul on earth to tell us about one of the greatest horrors of all time that only some survived at all. This is a momentous occasion. The world just lost something incredibly special. If Jennifer Aniston died today,  the entire world would freak out.

7. tirelesstraveler profile image88
    tirelesstravelerposted 2 years ago

This is beautiful, thanks Beth for bringing to our awareness.

1. 0
      Beth37posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Of course. It's an honor just to know about her.
      If you'd like to see a documentary about her (it was nominated for an Oscar) it's called:
      Lady in Number 6: How Music Saved My Life.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I am watching a segment of The Lady in Number 6 on youtube.  It is so inspirational!

1. 0
          Beth37posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'd like to see it too. Maybe someday it will be available thru Redbox or Netflix.