jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Should UK female solders take combat roles?

1. Silverspeeder profile image59
    Silverspeederposted 2 years ago

General Sir Peter Wall says the British army should consider females taking combat roles in the future http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26911523

Regardless of the physical differences there should be women in the front line.

1. GA Anderson profile image84
      GA Andersonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

"Regardless of the physical differences there should be women in the front line."

Is that your opinion?

Speaking from a male perspective, I can see almost any opinion offered, other than "Yes, of course, equality for all." as being a magnet for accusations that it is politically incorrect, sexist, or chauvinistic.

I understand that my views that women are different from men, and hold different positions and roles in society, and are typically revered by men, and are frequently the object that men fight to protect, and have fundamentally different physical and character traits than men, are now considered archaic and wrong.

Is society, and a woman's lot improved if our "enlightenment" declares the error of the "women and children first" concept?

My opinion is that my opinion has no right to withhold this "equality" if that is what women want, but my gut says it is diminishing the value of women to society. Harumpt!

GA

Silverspeederposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sorry GA the question was "Should UK female solders take combat roles?"

My own personal point of view is if equality is to be obtained then no roles where it is practical to be equal should be barred.

1. GA Anderson profile image84
          GA Andersonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Didn't I answer the question? Should I have said UK female soldiers instead of women?

I understand your personal point. And I agree. But I challenge the wisdom of universal equality just for the sake of equality. I see it as being analogous to the old adage that sometimes more isn't better - it's just more.

But, I don't mind being a contrarian in this case. I do not think women are too weak and/or incapable of being front line combat soldiers - I think they are more valuable and precious to society than using them as combat soldiers conveys. Maybe that's a sexist position. If so, so be it. It's a perception I intend to keep.

GA

2. maxoxam41 profile image77
    maxoxam41posted 2 years ago

If they are as STUPID as those men, why not? Less idiots on planet earth! Who still believes that each soldier fights for his country versus the interests of a plutocracy?

Silverspeederposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Plutocracy, nationalism or religion I would say but that wasn't my point.
      As long as we do have armies why shouldn't females be considered for combat positions?

working