jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)

Politifact Factoid: Who Lies More: Republicans or Democrats?

1. Sychophantastic profile image83
    Sychophantasticposted 2 years ago

According to Politifact, 32% of GOP claims last year were false. This was 3 times the lie rate for Democrats. This would mean that 1 out of every 3 things the GOP said last year was a lie.

Do you believe Politifact? If you believe it, what does it mean to you? If you don't believe it, why not? What fact-checking service can you cite that provides alternate information?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

No.  My experience is that 90% of what issues from a politicians mouth is a lie, and the other 10% is shading the truth, avoidance of the question (irrelevant) or spin.

When you claim that Democrats only lie 10% of the time I have to wonder what you've been smoking.

2. GA Anderson profile image87
      GA Andersonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It appears you might benefit from a little clarification and context. First, Politico did not make that claim. The claim is incorrect as stated. You would have been much more credibly accurate if you had said, "... of the statements Politifact chose to rate..." etc.  At least from politifact's perspective, that is not the conclusion they would have drawn;

Conversely, since the study was conducted using material Politifact chose to rate, couldn't it also be validly implied that Politifact was biased against Republicans by ensuring the majority of statements that could be discredited were Republican statements?

Do you contend that your proclamation would hold if the study included all political statements, rather than just the ones Politifact chose?

3. 86
      Education Answerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Politifact must have forgotten to factor in President Obama's lies.

4. swordsbane profile image60
      swordsbaneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't really care what the specific "rate of lying" is.  Are you kidding me?  All it takes for you to see that both sides lie is to listen to any press conference where they tell you what they will do in the future and then look at what actually happened.  Either they are lying, or they are complete morons.... BOTH sides.  Either way, none of them should be in office.  If you voted Democrat OR Republican in the last election, YOU'RE part of the problem.

5. 61
      retief2000posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Did Politifact's conclusion include that nearly all the Democrat lies were accounted for by one person, Barack Obama?  Just wondering?  If you like Politifact, you can keep it.

2. crazyhorsesghost profile image86
    crazyhorsesghostposted 2 years ago

Wilderness I have to agree with you on this one. The Democrats lie as much as the Republicans. Maybe they don't get caught as often.

3. 0
    Beth37posted 2 years ago

It seems to me a difficult fact to try to prove.
    You'd have to know every single lie, no matter how big or small, told every single day, by every single politician. I would assume they are only commenting on the lies that ppl have been caught in.

1. GA Anderson profile image87

Beth37, you are making it much harder than needed. Just rely on Wilderness' experience and avoid the angst of indecision.

1. 0
        Beth37posted 2 years ago in reply to this

As you say, sir.

4. Sychophantastic profile image83
    Sychophantasticposted 2 years ago

I merely offer the "factoid" for discussion. I did not state that I believed it. Mr. Anderson and wilderness raise salient points.

1. GA Anderson profile image87

Well then, thanks for providing the opportunity for a discussion. There has been a shortage of P & SI threads lately.

I will return the favor by mentioning something another forum poster pointed out to me - a "factoid" is seldom an unbiased fact, and for safety's sake, (of the OP), should always be accompanied by a fine-print disclaimer. It is a lesson I try to remember, but sometimes I forget.

5. syzygyastro profile image83
    syzygyastroposted 2 years ago

They both lie! :Lies are almost 100%. It is either propaganda, false promises or deliberate misrepresentation of the facts. They lie about spreading democracy, about the state of the economy, the potential for prosperity and peace when in fact we have had war and austerity for at least three decades with the last five years being the very worst. The bipartisan club of deception does not even rule but serve only as the public relations (professional liars) for the corporations and the bankers. One would be hard pressed to find a worse sort just about anywhere except perhaps China and N. Korea.