jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Man Jailed for pirating movies, and then they had movie night...

1. Stevennix2001 profile image82
    Stevennix2001posted 2 years ago

According to young turks, a prisoner was sentenced to 29 months in prison for pirating movies, but he was shocked to find that the prison that he was sent to used pirated movies to entertain their prisoners, which he thought was hypocritical bulls***, so he complained about it.  Needless to say, they're looking into the matter as we speak.  My question to you all this is...do you think it's right that federal prisons use pirated movies to entertain their prisoners?  Or do you think they should use part of our tax payer's dollars to buy these imprisoned men subscriptions to netflix or something?  What are your thoughts?

By the way if you guys want to see the video for more info, then please click on the link below:

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

Prosecuting for pirating is stupid, anyway. Most people pirate movies and music out of curiosity, not necessarily genuine desire to see/hear it.

By making it punishable by prosecution, you're not guaranteeing that the pirates will turn to buying the product--if they can't get it for free, they'll just do without it. There was always a chance that the pirate will like the thing so much they'll buy it to support the studio, but when they're turned away in such a fashion, not only will they do without that movie/album, but they'll probably also do without anything that company ever makes. By making pirating illegal, you are in no way guaranteeing that you'll make any money from those who pirate.

On the other hand, if someone pirates a movie and really enjoys it, they'll likely want to watch it on a screen larger than a computer monitor, and getting a pirated movie to play on a big TV (without looking like sh!t) is a pain unless you go out and buy the actual film. The same goes for pirated music--unless you have a 150 TB hard drive to store that many Lossless music files, the better experience comes with CDs and vinyl. By testing it out with a pirated version first, the chances that a pirate will buy the product they downloaded will increase by a good bit.

Shorter Version: If pirating is legal but kinda shady practice, the companies still have that chance to make their money. If pirating is illegal and prosecutable, the companies will notice nothing short-term, but lose money long-term.

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

The prison should follow the law, obviously.

And I believe pirating should be illegal.  Anything else would make me a hypocrite in defending my own copyrights.

1. 84
      Education Answerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Well put.