jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

The Atomic Age, Nuclear Bombs, and North Carolina

1. 0
    mbuggiehposted 2 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9022344_f520.jpg
    According to CNN, a recently declassified report notes the following:

"On a January night in 1961, a U.S. Air Force bomber broke in half while flying over North Carolina. From the belly of the B-52 fell two bombs -- two nuclear bombs that hit the ground near the city of Goldsboro.
    A disaster worse than the devastation wrought in Hiroshima and Nagasaki could have befallen the United States that night. But it didn't, thanks to a series of fortunate missteps. Declassified documents that the National Security Archive released this week offered new details about the incident."

For more information:
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/12/us/north- … ?hpt=hp_t2

What are you reactions to this disclosure?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That I think it would have taken a massive series of mishaps to create the devastation hinted at.  A scare monger tactic, then, not discussion of realistic possibilities.

1. 0
        mbuggiehposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I have heard for some time that this near-disaster happened in North Carolina. What I am not sure of is what "missteps" McNamara was speaking of when he claimed that "missteps" alone (apparently) saved North Carolina.

My knowledge of the weapons tells me that the bombs were not designed to detonate on impact with the ground.

I am hoping we hear more, get more details so that some more reasonable explanation (other than "missteps") can be offered.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That's kind of what I mean.  The bombs were "virtually" armed, meaning they were not armed at all and would not detonate.  Height above ground was not set - they will not detonate.  Parachutes didn't open - they will not detonate.  All this must be corrected, by accident, along with the tremendous mishap of a plane breaking apart in mid-air.

1. 0
            mbuggiehposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Exactly!

working