jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Patriotism in America: More or Less?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

Are we more patriotic today than we were in the past? Or less? 

Why does our president say patriotic words and then turn around and take unpatriotic actions? 

I wonder if our young adults have any sense of patriotism after becoming indoctrinated against our county in public schools and universities.

Will we become more patriotic in time?  Or less.

1. Lastheart profile image71
      Lastheartposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This is a great reflective issue and it goes to whoever lives on earth. We are responsable for this earth, everything wrong on it is about each one of us. May this post reflect on our daily mirror; and may we get enough wisdom to deal with the answers.

2. AshtonFirefly profile image84
      AshtonFireflyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Hopefully less. I live in the US but I hate the US. I don't think patriotism is good if the defining aspects of your country are bad. I don't even like the behavior of most of the people that live here.

IMO it's already too late to change it. More has already occurred than what most people can imagine and it's headed for destruction.

Not to throw a negative outlook here, but I think the situation is more grave that what is widely accepted. If I believed the country could be turned around, I'd gladly participate. But to me, it's a lost cause. There are a few good persons left. But as a whole, it's not something I'm proud of.

Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

"Don't trust anyone over thirty."

3. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I find it quite amusing that those values that many of out forefathers fought and died for are now outdated and considered as not PC. Those who shout loudest about patriotism are the very politicians who have distain for the patriot when he askes what have you done for your country lately.

What do we really have to be patriotic about?

2. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

Patriotism is an anachronism in a postmodern world, designed only to perpetuate xenophobia built around arbitrary borders and arbitrary tribalism. It is a hindrance.

So, to you, it is already a quaint and archaic word. That gives me permission to define it:
      Patriotism: Loving one's country.
      Is it somehow wrong to love one's country? one's family? one's home town? one's life? one's self?

1. rhamson profile image76
        rhamsonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

One's government, foreign policy, war crimes, aggression?

If one can overlook the many things this country has done then maybe you can love it. The wonderful thing is that you don't have to love it or accept it for the way it is. We have the ability to change what we don't like about it. There are many great people, yourself included, who are what the spirit of the country is all about. The problem is that when we do bad things we seldom correct them and leave little sh#t bombs after us.

Yes. Elected officials in government should keep in mind the people they are representing. Their job represents more than a paycheck and position of their own honor and glory. It represents the hearts of the homeland. They really need to TRY to stay true to those hearts.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image83
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

A warrior acts as if he's winning even when he believes he might be loosing.

In other words: Even if it seems the battle is lost, a WARRIOR acts as if he's winning.

So, We should never stop fighting, even if it seems we are loosing…

We will always be winning as long as we follow the battle plan.

What is the battle plan?

Maintaining our union of individual states in order to
    "establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, secure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and posterity." 

We must value the Constitution which guarantees certain unalienable rights (endowed by our Creator) "that among these are life, liberty and pursuit of happiness."   

Remember the battle plan:

Fight all, (within and without the nation,) who try to tyrannize over us and take away what our forefathers fought so hard to obtain for not only themselves but posterity… thats us… and our children and grandchildren and so on and so on.

Why the heck not?