jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Can a "free market" remain "free" without regulation?

1. My Esoteric profile image89
    My Esotericposted 2 years ago

My position  is this:  A truly "free market" will never remain "free" for very long; it will quickly turn into monopolies and oligopolies who make sure the market is never "free" again.

What is yours?

1. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This is a political world we live in after all.

2. John Holden profile image59
      John Holdenposted 2 years ago in reply to this

We've never had a truly free market but oligopolies abound. Or should that be "and oligopolies abound?".

3. My Esoteric profile image89
      My Esotericposted 2 years ago in reply to this

There is no question this is a tough question of those who believe in Classical Liberalism (think laissez-faire) and its associated economic system of what is generally called Classical economics, a subset of which, the Austrian School, has recently been made famous again.

2. MizBejabbers profile image92
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

I share your opinion. The "haves" will always monopolize over the "have nots" and greed will triumph. I'm old enough to remember the argument in favor of deregulation: "Enterprises will regulate themselves," "Self-regulation is the key to success," "our telephone rates would go down if the government would get its nose out of Ma Bell's business."
    We know what happened there, don't we? Umpteen phone companies, almost all incompetent, and all competing to see who could raise their rates the highest. Now they are all collecting again under one or two roofs.
    We deregulated our banks, the housing market ran rampant, and the banks fell.
    Those of us who formerly worked in broadcasting know what happened there.
    I could go on and on, but I think that's enough said.

3. Kay-ce L Adams profile image81
    Kay-ce L Adamsposted 2 years ago

Author & professor, Charles Eisenstein, has a great take on this topic in his book, 'Scared Economics'. He believes quite the same as you, there really isn't a way to have a "free market" because it cost something even in a bartering type market.

I agree as well.