jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Our political integrity is affected by...

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 7 years ago

Here are a couple of points that I felt could go in this forum. These points that are at work in everyone's (liberal or conservative, across the spectrum) mentality, emotions and spirituality, hence in our political views. It was hard to decide which forum to put it in.
    Give it a read and discuss politics with these points in mind.

Idolatry: the giving of absolute worship, devotion or trust to a person or thing as if it were a god, but is not God; immoderate attachment or devotion to or veneration for something; respect or love that approaches that due a divine power

Idol: an image used as an object of worship; one that is adored; someone or something on which affections are strongly or obsessively set; a person or thing of passionate devotion, love or adoration; a false notion or conception 

So in human psychology, it means seeing ones self, an aspect thereof, as if it were Truth in God, God within oneself , but it is not the True image of God that oneself is a part of. (remember my definition of God is, the Universe that we as an individual are a important part of; and that individuals are somewhere along the spectrum and need a personal God for their psyche/soul healing)

In a dysfunctional relationship within self and with others, a person is seeing/even believing or having faith in something or someone that is false, that is not True. Putting attention and energy into that belief is karmic, even if one does not know it or understand it…at some point maturity will comprehend it.

We become an Idolator:
    When we make our or another’s imperfections, bad examples and misdemeanors important or True. .
    When we take the failures and shortcomings of our self or another, too seriously, like saying “he is wrong, a cheat, a bad person who can never change”.
    When we condemn someone or something outside of ourselves because we carry condemnation of our own frailties and shortcomings; seize the opportunity of someone’s misbehavior to say “ what a terrible thing…”, is when we release our own self condemnation which we can no longer bear.

We must remember to not lose perspective; that if it wasn’t in us, we wouldn’t be bothered with it when we see it in another
    We need to correct our mistakes, not get too serious over our own or another’s shortcomings and frailties…or we become an idolator.

Nihilism: 1a: a view point that all traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that all existence is consequently senseless and useless; a denial of intrinsic meaning and value in life; a doctrine that denies or is taken as denying any objective or real ground of truth; specifically, an ethical doctrine that denies any objective ground of moral principles-called ethical nihilism, moral nihilism:
    2a: a doctrine that no reality exists b: a profession of nihilistic delusions
    3: an annihilation (as by mystical contemplation) of desires and self consciousness
    4: a doctrine or belief that conditions in the social organization are so bad as to make destruction desirable for its own sake independent of nay constructive program or possibility…i.e schemes or revolutionary reform that resort to terrorism, assassination or propaganda, acts or utterance, etc…
    …holding that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated; the belief that destruction of existing political or social institutions is necessary for future improvement.
    Attack on the individual through nihilism: the philosophy of nihilism that holds that God is not personal, denies the Saints, Ascended Masters, angels, elemental life, and God in manifestation within  humanity, and our self. It destroys the subconscious need of the psyche/soul to have something that is beyond the physical and deprives the individual of this necessary component of being-ness. It separates one’s self from the Universe, as being an important part of the Universe. It splits the personality and substitutes the carnal mind and mob mentality; it is an attempt to make an individual one of the masses, of the mass consciousness. It is an attack on the individual, hence an attack on God. 

When the “state” controls religion and programs and things the people need, it becomes the “savior”, and the soul/psyche becomes dependent, apathetic, believes it is entitled, believes injustice has taken place, etc…  and hence, at a deeper level the soul becomes angry, fearful, looses the sense of self worth and purpose in life so rebels against even those things that can be of use to growth as an individual

We lose our joy and sense of reality of self as one with God/the Universe, and can become greedy, selfish, egotistical, idiosyncratic, wanting only to do things our way and not able to surrender this carnal minded self centeredness.  It is a subtle lucifierian tactic to destroy God on the planet

1. RKHenry profile image80
      RKHenryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Nice hub.  Too bad I can't help you out with a positive rating.

2. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Things are not always so obvious as they might seem.  Some actually enjoy debate and argumentation for its own sake and even might have a sense of humor about it in all reality, and even about themselves.

I could not help but see the positioning of your own beliefs here in perhaps a manner of 'idolatry' (that said in regard to your own ideas--those which I perhaps do not share).

Here is a quote for you:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

Marrianne Williamson.  You might like her.

3. SparklingJewel profile image67

The point of the thread is to discuss our politics with these aspects in mind (about one's self)...big_smile   not just critique me big_smile big_smile

Our politics???

This is a hub about your views.  Not a thread intended to be discussed.  Discussion allows room for debate.  Your thread merits no such thing.  I think that is what Lita was trying to say.  Don't like the criticism then maybe you could save your hubs for your hub page.  I don't know, but that's just an idea.  But this may of started out as a thread, though I think thats extremely unlikely, it turned out to be a hub about your definitions and personal views on idol worshiping.  Why is that a political issue anyways??

2. Nickny79 profile image86
      Nickny79posted 7 years ago in reply to this

the usual pseudo-psychoanalysis and verbiage...it's really pathological--perhaps to the point of being a psychosis.

1. 0
        Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The usual mean-spirited and narcissistic attack supposedly hidden.  Definitely has lost the ability to capitalize anything.  smile

4. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

From past experience with her, RK, I think Jewel believes that anybody with a strong opinion one side or the other (generally politics) and sure of it (or so it would seem with some writers perhaps and maybe just their ability with words and how much they have read/been educated) are kind of uh, pigheaded, to put it prosaically, smile, or uppity and may have the mark of Lucifer, upon them, even.  lol 

I was actually trying to do the OPPOSITE of criticize her with that quote... 

But actually, yes--also to say that the authoritarian tone she has basically taken in assuming that everyone takes all this very seriously and are indeed out for bloodlust and/or domination and want to smear their opponents in a good/evil struggle is actually positioning herself against her own beliefs of idolatry.  (She's doing exactly what she is warning about & taking a cover behind an overarching God/Karma or something, and I believe she thinks this insulates her against criticism.)

Again, ideas about idolatry I don't share.

I've stated this before to her (and I know she means more than just me, obviously):  If I am giving someone the time of day to argue or verbally spar with them, it is actually a compliment to them.  And though I may not agree with them at all, it may even be surprising to her to know that I actually respect them.

5. SparklingJewel profile image67

Ok, so I can see that you all don't get where I am coming from.

In my "book", on my "path", attachments to the human ego to which you are ascribing what you see as my "pathology",  are there, occasionally, but not consistently. There is a "higher" reality of belief for ones self, that is my goal, for me.

But yes, in my human desire, I want others to have the same goals to raise one's consciousness out of human degradations of idolatry and nihilism. Don't you? But those have to be  recognized and explored before they can be overcome.

One can get to the point of recognizing and pointing things out without being thought of as evil. They are like passages to pass through from the labyrinth to the Light...not something to "own" as in idolatry. Because that "ownership" is not of Reality of God/Love/Universe.

I recognize I don't have the intellect you appear to have. But I do know that intellect does not imply correctness or authority, because it is usually thought of as a form of superiority over others, when actually loving kindness is needed to round it out to wholeness.

I believe your interpretation of why I started this thread is unkind. I feel like I was putting some things out there that were worthwhile concepts to explore. Please don't lump me in with other self righteous religious folks. I am trying to improve myself in both areas of intellect and kindness.  And figure out this whole thing called life ! big_smile

It appears you have a lot more intellect on this subject than I have, if that says anything.  Remember I am a spectic.  I don't pretend to believe in God-so idol worshiping crap is that crap.  I still think your hub was great.  It makes you think and I would of liked to have given it a thumbs up.  Now if you will excuse, I've grown impatient trying to get my point across.  I hope you have good satisfied results to this "whatever" declaration.  I still see no connection however as to why you would of placed such a thing in the political forum.  But no need to explain to me any further information on this subject.  My comment would have been, "Very well written!"

6. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 7 years ago

My theory is nihilism is necessary to make a profit. You have to destroy something to make it into something else one can sell. And some have to be worth less for others to be worth more. So the idea would be to transcend dualistic evaluation.

7. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

This all is too human for me and great tragi-comedy!

IMHO--absolutely!!:  RK is very cool and is just a little new.  He does have a point about hubs, though, I think.

I think Nick supports you, Jewel, in his own little way--but it's usually almost always about him, him, him for him anyway, wink  Always funny.

Knol, and you, Jewel have a definite wisdom and points, I recognize that--maybe already taken for some here, smile.  Kindness and intellect just show up in different ways in different people regarding different people.