jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

US Postal System

1. RKHenry profile image80
    RKHenryposted 7 years ago

Lately newspaper all over America are reporting, in the usual fashion, information concerning the layoffs, office closings, etc. that the Post Office is now facing.  Take of note of this story from the LA Times; http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-p … 4846.story

Now what really pisses me off is, in 2001 Bush pass a Republican measure making it law that Retired Postal workers are to be paid their entire pension funds in 7 years after they retire instead of the normal 30.  It is this bill, enacted in 2001and signed by Bush that is causing this mess.  Not our economy, though that is not helping.  But using the post office is like the necessary need of gas.  You have too.

I am sick and tired of these reporters not doing research or using their memory to write the whole truth of the matters.  It is reporting like this that is throwing fuel on an already lite fire. 

Everyone will be affected by this...  Where was the press in 2001 when Bush passed this tragic mistake?

2. 0
    Leta Sposted 7 years ago

Well, I can tell you as a former newspaper person, that the news industry is a business like any other.  Dependent on ratings and readership, often; the formulation of an interpretation often (which I believe an adequate job CAN be done); subject to censorship, or worse yet, propaganda plants; and obviously suffering as a business enterprise anyway, countrywide.

This, lol, DOES not absolve legitimate journalists from their responsibility.  Just makes it really hard.  And it does NOT absolve citizens from figuring out the truth, either, just makes it really hard.

1. RKHenry profile image80
      RKHenryposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm the proverbial student of journalism.  I can see the truth is quickly becoming a lost art for ratings. 

I think a lot of what is being reported and what is left out are calculated measures.  The problem with this is that most people believe everything they read.  Especially if it's on the Internet.  If this false reporting and style keeps continuing, I can envision future "state run press" agencies.  When I mean state, I speak of a Federally funded and ran.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 7 years ago

"This, lol, DOES not absolve legitimate journalists from their responsibility."
    I thought legitimate journalists were practically against the law in America.
    Which is why we have to have comedian journalists.

1. 0
      Leta Sposted 7 years ago in reply to this

An excellent point.  Also >some< bloggers.