Many of these have been pushed in these very forums. What do you think about the lies or are they lies? What do you think about the truth or is it the truth?
(1) Democrats have allowed the poor not to work, while receiving handouts paid by middle-class taxpayers. Baloney. Almost all welfare programs now require recipients to be working. We now have the highest percentage of working poor since data have been collected.
(2) Democrats have exempted the poor from paying taxes. Wrong. Poor Americans pay sales taxes (comprising 30% of all government revenues), which take a bigger bite out of their incomes than anyone else’s, and if they work they pay Social Security taxes.
(3) Democrats support government welfare for illegal immigrants. Wrong. Undocumented workers aren’t eligible; in fact, most have to pay into Social Security although they won’t be collecting it on retirement.
(4) The recent surge of illegal immigration is due to Democratic support for “amnesty.” False. It’s due to the drug war (which Republicans have long championed) moving into Central America.
(5) Obamacare is a huge handout from the middle class to the poor. Wrong again. It saves money by reducing costs of emergency room care, and its only tax (2.8% on capital gains) falls almost entirely on the wealthy.
I like Robert Reich's take on a lot of things. I think he wades through all the bull$!t and tries to simplify what others muddy up the issues with. There is also a danger in simplifying things in that those who look for loopholes and pitfalls usually squeak them in the argument.
1.) You obviously haven't been to New York where there are no jobs but plenty of welfare checks.
2.) Funny. I used to prepare taxes for "the poor". Not only did they not pay anything, but they got a whole lot back.
3.) Again, you haven't been to New York. I've been to welfare offices where all you have to do is sign a form and you're eligible. They don't even bother to check ID's to see if you ARE legal.
4.) Fact is, they're still illegal. No matter who is supporting them or why they're coming. We need stronger security at the border. Personally, I like the "shoot to kill" border patrol motto proposed by a democrat from Arizona recently. Too bad nobody's listening to that individual.
5.) Reduces emergency room costs, perhaps, but it more than doubled my insurance premiums.
Sorry, no matter who's spouting it, it's still just rhetoric. I'll keep my own and my personal observations to tell me what's wrong with this country. (Hint: It's the left wing progressives...have a nice day.)
by KK Trainor5 years ago
Why vote for the party that wants to keep you dependent on the government?I am not saying that I believe all minorities vote Democrat, nor that all of them are dependent on government assistance in its many forms. I...
by Charles James4 years ago
I am not an American, but what goes on in the USA is important to the world.Lincoln was a Republican and freed the slaves. One would expect black Americans to generally vote Republican. But they don't.How did this come...
by Grace Marguerite Williams17 months ago
Disclaimer: Not addressing the hard working poor who are trying to better lives for their families; the underemployed; the unemployed; the needy elderly; the physically, mentally, emotionally, and psychologically...
by Sooner284 years ago
Republicans in the Senate, along with four Democrats, voted against ending a filibuster on a bill that would end oil subsidies. The Republican party votes for tax breaks for the rich, denies people the RIGHT to...
by Kathryn L Hill2 years ago
by Josak3 years ago
Earlier I read a forum thread intended to smear the poor as lazy and entitled. It sickened me. This forum post will prove with incontrovertible government figures that this is a falsehood and/or a lie.First the...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.