Accountability and Responsibility-Eric Holden

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)
  1. realtalk247 profile image76
    realtalk247posted 9 years ago

USA Today reported

FERGUSON, MO. — Attorney General Eric Holder flew to Ferguson, Mo., on Wednesday as the nation's chief law enforcement officer leading an investigation into a police shooting.

He also arrived as an African-American who said he understands the racial tensions that have fueled days of protests that have been marred by violence and mass arrests since the Aug. 9 shooting of Michael Brown by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson.

"I am the Attorney General of the United States, but I am also a black man," Holder told Ferguson residents at a community meeting. "I can remember being stopped on the New Jersey turnpike on two occasions and accused of speeding. Pulled over. ... 'Let me search your car' ... Go through the trunk of my car, look under the seats and all this kind of stuff. I remember how humiliating that was and how angry I was and the impact it had on me."

What a beautiful example of someone understanding the reality of unspeakable acts of violence and saying something about the situation.  A trend amongst police and people of color; murder is not secret to anyone.  From the people arrested by police that "disappeared" years ago to those who repeatedly are harassed and their last moments speaking the truth " I can't breathe" to those who are riddled with bullets without cause. 

RIP Eric Garner, Ezell Ford, and the many others that suffered your same fate. 

Reflection- Christopher Dorner, former police officer with the LAPD, (who snapped) stated in his manifesto
    KTLA reported  February 12, 2013, The Disturbing Manifesto of Christopher Dorner 
    "I’m not an aspiring rapper, I’m not a gang member, I’m not a dope dealer, I don’t have multiple babies momma’s. I am an American by choice, I am a son, I am a brother, I am a military service member, I am a man who has lost complete faith in the system............."

The manifesto of Christopher Dorner was filled with insight into the world of the blue shield:
    "From 2/05 to 1/09 I saw some of the most vile things humans can inflict on others as a police officer in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, it wasn’t in the streets of LA. It was in the confounds of LAPD police stations and shops (cruisers). Those Caucasian officers who join South Bureau divisions (77th,SW,SE, an Harbor) with the sole intent to victimize minorities who are uneducated, and unaware of criminal law, civil law, and civil rights. You prefer the South bureau because a use of force/deadly force is likely and the individual you use UOF on will likely not report it."

There are no easy answers to fix this situation.  There are good/great police officers that put their lives on the line everyday to serve and protect.  They are the reason we can sleep easy at night knowing there is someone out there to tactically administer justice.  There is also a history of police brutality resulting in the termination of lives before their time.  There are too many wives and mothers crying tears and experiencing pain that can not be comforted.  You can't argue self defense when shooting people in the back or several officers utilized to arrest one person.   

"We will not go Back" a march scheduled in NY August 23rd is being held regarding the death of Eric Garner.

One thing is for sure there has to be a change and the change starts with recognizing, although you may not respect/like/fear a group of people, to decide to end lives at will is not an option.  Every person is someone's son, daughter, mother, father, husband, wife, and a part of the human race. 

As children we learned and sung songs that unfortunately does not hold true in society as adults.  "Red or yellow, black or white, they are precious in his sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world."  As teenagers and adults we understand and realize that racism and the blue shield can be a deadly combination.

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Greetings, I don't know if I like the federal government getting involved merely because this case is politically charged and has a lot of light on it. If they are not able to intervene in all such cases and there are plenty of them out there, why this one? If there is reason to believe that the legal machinery process at the state and local level is tainted, then perhaps such intervention is necessary. I otherwise applaud the AG working within areas of his proper purview.

1. rhamson profile image71
        rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What is ironic at this point of the argument is that the States Attorney has been accused of having strong ties to law enforcement through his family and therefore deemed bias in the publics perception. Eric Holder comes flying into town and expresses his opinion based on his own life experiences and ethnicity. And this is supposed to be an insightful exploration of the facts.

It is the same all over this country as politics even invades the Supreme Court as justices have been appointed to judge impartially while holding extreme leanings according to their appointment.

realtalk247posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Rhamson

That's a reality. For some people despite how you carry yourself, your level of education - you are still treated differently. To deny that is unrealistic.  Just read books like: Black Like Me is a nonfiction book by journalist John Howard Griffin first published in 1961.

Reality

1. rhamson profile image71
            rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Reality is not something this country deals well with. We like to hear all the good things our country does, and it does do good in many instances. But the murky underbelly of its' workings tends to garner a deaf ear. Our foreign relations has been a total failure in just about every situation. How is it that most of the radical Muslims came about? With our support and ignorance. Just a look at the Taliban and "Wilson's War" is a prime example. Arm them but don't help them prosper through education and healthcare? There are too many instances of how we have screwed with foreign countries and their leadership that it will need a Hub, what I should say is volumes of books to explain. As far as the race issue. Who thought it was a good idea to buy people from slavers to work under deplorable conditions with no rights or freedoms? We did! Bad choices have their consequences.

1. Credence2 profile image79

Rhamson, let me know when you decide to do a hub on topic...

2. Credence2 profile image79

Yes, I read that and saw the film, most revealing of racism and its subconscious effects.

2. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 9 years ago

Sadly, for as long as there are parents that teach racism, incidents like these will continue. I think all faiths, including the Christian faith (of which I a part) can learn from the inclusiveness of Buddhism. Faith should be focusing on unity and acceptance and doing good to all, regardless of race, creed, or color; rather than sow seeds of divisiveness.

realtalk247posted 9 years agoin reply to this

well said grand old lady

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)