jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Politics and PC's

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

Can computer technology / internet create a more democratic world?
    Can the internet make democracy more possible in any country?
    Can the US do away with the electoral college in favor of one man one vote via the internet?

1. rhamson profile image74
      rhamsonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Great idea but how do you monitor the security of it. The government?

2. WillStarr profile image85
      WillStarrposted 2 years ago in reply to this

The electoral college, like Congress, is designed to keep the big population states from assuming majority rule tyranny. Would you like the big city coastal states to dictate terms to all the other states?

1. rhamson profile image74
        rhamsonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That is a very good point! The necessity to get out and vote is the only thing that makes it fair. One thing the politicians have not been able to eliminate is the vote. They have gerrymandered it and discounted it but the numbers cannot be overcome in the grand scheme of things. Why is it so many give up on the one thing that makes it fair?.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image84
          Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago in reply to this

confusion and laziness.

I am now convinced computer voting is not the way to go. Thanks, all.

3. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Today almost bottom line democracy - the ability to vote, worldwide is done directly and indirectly with currency. However we probably do not realize who we support with that vote. Cause there to be democratic governments is a whole different concept. The vast majority of nations are republics and many to most already have an electoral process for heads of states. The democratic process thrives today really with governments. Even Russia votes on the president and it is a popular vote system. But, the prime minister is appointed by the president. How fair are other nations elections? I dun'no . . .

Dump the electoral college maybe yes. Through the internet to vote I really do not think so. How the electoral college votes is regulated by individual states. It can get confusing. Some are by state law with or without party pledges and some with no legal requirements. I just learned that today and still do not understand it fully.

2. Superkev profile image84
    Superkevposted 2 years ago

Would you really want to trust a national election to the people who brought you healthcare.gov?? Not me sister, not in a million years.

I say paper ballots that can be physically traced are the only way to go, and with that voter iD laws in all 50 (not 57 Barack) states. You want to vote? Show valid proof you are a citizen and eligible to cast a vote.

One man/woman, one vote, ONE time!!!

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image84

Perhaps PC's can be used as a check by the people against certain types tyranny. For that reason might "they" take away our free internet?

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image84

But, what about the potential of the personal computer / internet access in providing greater freedom…which we now have? Isn't that freedom a great thing?
    Do we use it in educating ourselves about candidates and political issues/problems/solutions? We could and we should. Do we?
    If not, why not?

5. Jeff Monahan profile image61
    Jeff Monahanposted 2 years ago

It seems to me that if anything, the internet being used within politics is a dangerous thing to do regardless how it is incorporated.
    First off. internet security is not anywhere near the point that you could guarantee that the person voting is actually who they are - look at dating sites and FB.
    Secondly, since the power would be in the hands of the geeks employed by the government, the possibility of corruption by altering results would exist.
    Lastly, how would you like for the new President to have a list of all the people that voted for a party that was against him?

6. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 2 years ago

Terrorist now use modern technology like the internet to self-aggrandize and propagate their beliefs.