jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

An opportunity to contribute to society, please help others.

1. realtalk247 profile image70
    realtalk247posted 2 years ago

The reason why we need men to step up and help is for the following reasons and statistics listed below:

In 2009, African American men comprised 40 percent of the U.S. male prison population, while African Americans only comprise 13 percent of the American population. One out of every 15 African American men is incarcerated. By age 18, 30 percent of black men will have been arrested for non-traffic offenses. By age 23, that number jumps to 49 percent. According to the Bureau of Justice, one in three black men is expected to be imprisoned during his lifetime.
    With only 5 percent of the world’s population, the United States holds 25 percent of all prisoners, the highest incarceration rate in the world, the majority of them young, Black American men.

Black men in America are our society’s endangered species. Never more has it been more appropriate for this national call by our government to address the crisis facing men of color.
    Far too many minority boys grow up believing they don’t deserve the rewards life holds for others.

My Brothers Keeper, an initiative fueled by the presidential administration gives the opportunity to get involved. 

White House’s “My Brother’s Keeper” taskforce study – the president is asking communities to tackle as many of the following goals as possible: ensure all of our children enter school cognitively, physically, socially and emotionally prepared and can read at grade level by third grade; ensure all of our young people graduate from high school and complete post-secondary education or training; ensure all youth out of school are employed and safe from violent crime.

Newsone announced more details regarding the persons heading the initiative and the need for the opportunity.

Task force report authored by Broderick Johnson, assistant to the President and cabinet secretary, and Jim Shelton, deputy secretary of education. The task force spoke with thousands of people throughout the country and found many not-so-secret facts, including:
    23.2 percent of Hispanics, 25.8 percent of Blacks, and 27 percent of Native Americans and Alaska Natives live in poverty, compared to 11.6 percent of White Americans.
    During the summer months (June-August) of 2013, just 17 percent of Black teenage boys (ages 16-19) and 28 percent of Hispanic teenage boys were employed, compared to 34 percent of White teenage boys.
    While only 6 percent of the overall population, Black males accounted for 43 percent of murder victims in 2011.

Companies that have pledged to contribute or establish funds to support youth and the initiatives designed under My Brothers Keeper opportunity to strengthen the outcome of young people:

AT&T - $18 million to support educational and mentoring programs targeted at socioeconomically vulnerable young men according to MSNBC
    The College Board -investing more than $1.5 million toward putting young men of color in advanced placement courses by the time they graduate.
    Discovery Communications -dedicated more than $1 million toward original programming that breaks down stereotypes affecting men of color.
    National Basketball Players Association
    National Basketball Retired Players Association announced a five-year commitment to My Brother’s Keeper and will support a public service announcement geared at recruiting 25,000 mentors for disadvantaged youths.

AmeriCorps is partnering with the USDA‘s Forest Service to provide $3.8 million in resources for both AmeriCorps grantees and member organizations of the 21st Century Conservation Service Corps to connect youths with forest restoration skills and career opportunities.
    Corporation for National and Community Service 
    DOJ’s Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention are putting together a $10 million AmeriCorps program called “Youth Opportunity AmeriCorps.” The goal is to “enroll disconnected youth in national service programs as AmeriCorps members over the next three years.”

Please choose to be a hero to someone that needs you. You don't need to be a millionaire to help, just the desire to help guide the youth into a positive direction so they can reach their true potential.  Perhaps you can inspire a young man to change laws and environments by becoming the next politician or attorney.  Men, get your friends together and dedicate a little time to helping others, your presence will be appreciated.

**There are opportunities for all to help guide the youth and I encourage men and women to pitch in serving in an area that fuels your passions and interests to help.

1. rhamson profile image76
      rhamsonposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I applaud you post and everything that is being directed towards mentoring and guiding young black men (and women I hope) to lead productive and rewarding lives through education and hard work.

What I have to question is how it will combat the youth culture within the poor neighborhoods of glorifying guns, violence and sexism we see and hear in the rap music and videos portrayed on television and music albums? The anger of youth gravitates towards these outlets to vent and express their feelings towards their situation. The youth seem to be driven by some idea that the easy way is what becomes the hard way. If you are lucky enough to be "discovered or drafted" the behavior is okay as the adult "gangsta" is given a pass that perpetuates the myth in the eyes of the impressionable youth. The pass is based on money and has nothing to do with the morality that is overlooked. How will you combat this strong message from the negative portion of the black youth culture?

realtalk247posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for your post.

We have to start somewhere is my answer.  We have to start believing you can make money legitimately.  Scared straight was a great way to introduce youth to visualize and experience the path to destruction.  Now we need to have programs that teach youth that materials are not everything.  When you change the emptiness inside of a person masked by materials- you heal the person and you change the culture.  Loving yourself means value in the person in the mirror not the acquisition of materials that don't appreciate or have any lasting value. 

It's called "the conversation"

Have you been to the "Forum"?

realtalk247posted 2 years ago in reply to this

What's that?

Never mind. Your ideas seem to replicate a self improvement course I once took.